Selling 5.0 for a Jetta I think.

Well, I'm finally seriously contemplating selling my 5.0L 90 Convertable, which has been used as my daily driver for 4 years now, in exchange for a mid to late 90's Jetta. I still plan on keeping the 78 2.3 turbo, gotta have some fun. I just need a new daily driver.

I'm not sold 100% on the Jetta yet but this is what I'm looking for:

1) 30+ mpg (35+ preferable)
2) 5-speed
3) power everything
4) space, trunk space, back-seat space
5) low maintence
6) decent power

If someone else has a recomendation on a vehicle I'd appreciate it. I'm really wanting to stay away from Honda, Kia, and Neon's.

Also my price range is about 5-6000 so a mid to late 90's model year.

• Sponsors (?)

I know that volks have some electric problems.. and few other things.. but those car are good for 250k miles.. and they are doing some good mpg..

A mazda proteger could be a good choice tho..

I just test drove a 99 Saturn SL2 w/ a 5-speed and SOHC, not the DOHC. Pretty nice car. It feels pretty nice and moved pretty well. Now just to check the MPG for thoes. I'll check out the mazda proteger, or did you mean "pro-ta-zay" ? I can't spell.

An older jetta once burned out an amp I was giving this guy. It was working in my car when we unhooked it, we hooked it to his car and it did nothing. Then we hooked it to mine again and it caught fire. Becareful with stereo systems in the jetta.

My brother is a VW nut, just picked up a 1995 GLX VR6 with power everything. Pretty quick, lots of space and power everything. Runs real nice but I don't know what his MGP is on it. With 170K and burning some oil, it probably isn't great. He picked it up for $3500 or $3600, somewhere around there.
Check out VWFixx.com and search the forums to see if it's a topic or anything.

Jettas are notorious for electrical issues as others have said. I hate chevs, but recently got an abused 94 berreta with the 2.2 and it is a great daily driver. It get 25 city and 35 on the highway. My buddy has a 99 sunfire with the same motor and gets better milage and has had no probs in the last 4 year or so he has owned it. They are gms :nonono: but I would get on long before a jetta.

I think I've decided to stick with domestics, that and parts for VW's are spendy.

I'm thinking of going with a saturn SC2. I test drove a 02 the other day and it was awesome. After driving Mustangs for 6 years it was hard to find another car that felt good. That and the engins used in these cars were almost the same from 90 or 91 (whenever they started making them), so parts are pretty cheap.