Serious problem w/tko Need opinions really bad

dannydoo

Sep 10, 2004
I just got done doing a aode to tko swap .

Im having a vibration while the cars on the lift,as soon as i let out the clutch it sometimes makes a grind sound,AND THE REAR BOUNCES UPWARD,kinda feels like the u joints are binding.
But it dont do it all the time.
I drove the car,and it goes thru all the gears perfectly.1st dont really vibrate,2nd did for a second,and when i got up to like 40mph in 4th it didnt vibrate at all. FEELS LIKE ITS MOSTLY ON THE INITIAL TORQUE APPLIED,once it starts spinning the vibration mostly is unoticable.
I changed driveshafts
I changed u joints
I changed the spline
I changed the angle of the tranny both sideways and up/down
I tried it w/and w/out the driveshaft spacer
I took the 1 inch tranny spacer out and tried 1/4 in and 1/2 inch spacer
I redrilled holes in the crossmember to **** the tranny straight

I pulled the yolk off the shaft and put it in the tranny,and the tranny goes thru all the gears perfectly and no banging or perculiar grind or anything like that. no wobbling

as soon as the load is on it something is out of waCK

The thing is,it seems like the outputshaft is pushing the driveshaft outward and makes the rear bounce up and down.THIS IS WHAT REALLY MAKES IT WIERD.
But the spline has 1 inch of play in it so that makes NO SENSE!!

THE OUTPUT SHAFT HAS NO PLAY w/or w/out the spline,up/down or side to side.
Theres a keyway in the spline,I didnt see one on the output shaft,if that means anything.?

The clutch engages nice,throwout bearing was good.
The pressure plate is pretty rusty and IM suspecting maybe something w/the clutch assembly?
oR its possible my rear may have took a crap?

• Sponsors (?)

How does the car vibrate in relation to speed and rpm. Forget about gears at this point.

Does the car vibrate more the faster you go?
Or does it vibrate the higher you rev the motor?

Did you index the bellhousing?

The car dont vibrate while driving really.
its like this

release clutch in first gear theres a grindy vibration right at the shifter/tail
accelerate a little and it stops.
go into second 20mph and it dont do it as much.
go into 3rd 40mph as soon as i let off the clutch and give it tiny throttle it vibrates then stops as i speed up
into 5th light throttle it dont vibrate

the faster i go the less it vibrates i guess.
if i just cruise out of gear or clutch pushed in.Its the same thing,smooth sailing.

Actually...today i took it for a test after i moved the tranny over 1` inch to the drivers side and more centered to the middle of the tunnel.
and..i droped the tranny mount from 1 1/4 inch to n 1/2 inch.

I t cured 90% of it.
SO IM THINKING ITS MAINLY SOMETYPE OF ANGLE ALIGNMENT.
The index thing...no i did not..i got the motor with the bell on it already and there was no previous problems I knew of.

Thanks for the reply
Dan

Here's what Im not following.

If the bellhousing wasn't indexed the vibration would start and get worse the higher you rev the motor. Thats in neutral or moving but only in relation to rpm.

The other vibration from a trans is a bad ds angle or out of balance ds.

The other is an imbalanced pressure plate which has happened to a couple of members on here.

Does the vibration have an audible sound to it like marbles in the exhaust?

EDIT: now that I think about it. The vibration at a low rpm could be a balancer goin bad. Mine would do that but when I revved the motor a little it went away. Check the rubber on the balancer.

My mechanic buddy said it sounded like the balancer was bad.
The motor does have a slight sound to it. kinda like the rollers..
It just sounds rattley
But it always sounded like that,even in the other car for a year.
The old balancer was good and it still did that.
I put a new balancer and its stilll the same.
But as far as what your saying,maybe i need to?
It does kinda have a vibration,its not real bad

What is index it mean?

Im concerned with the driveshaft angle. The motor is premo,its little rattly but its a roller motor,it sounds good.IM confident in it.BUT NOT THE TRANS YET.

I want to align the output with the rear but I cant figure out how to measure it.
I have a lift ,i was thinking use a j rod on the floor and a level on a stick
mark the floor w/chalk

I HAD A BIG PROBLEM trying to get the tranny to move sideways.
I didnt loosen the exhaust,only the motor mounts, easily tilted it up/down by the tail..But NO SIDE TO SIDE MOVEMENT,I REMOVED THE crossmemebr and transmount also.
do you think i need to unblt the exhaust to get the tranny to move side to side?
being the motormounts are rubber,they should flex enough for me to get a good trans alignment,tighten it down,then tighten the motormounts.
RIGHT?

I HAD A BIG PROBLEM trying to get the tranny to move sideways.
I didnt loosen the exhaust,only the motor mounts, easily tilted it up/down by the tail..But NO SIDE TO SIDE MOVEMENT,I REMOVED THE crossmemebr and transmount also.
do you think i need to unblt the exhaust to get the tranny to move side to side?
being the motormounts are rubber,they should flex enough for me to get a good trans alignment,tighten it down,then tighten the motormounts.
RIGHT?

This part here is scaring me. Is the tranny mated to the engine properly? Did the dowel pins engage the tranny correctly? Was there a dowel pin in the engine and in the tranny on one side and now the tranny is cocked off to one side causing your side to side alignment problem?

Do a search on indexing a bellhousing. Its either that or the balancer. Dont mess with the driveshaft angle. Just bolt the trans down. If the angle was off it would vibrate worse as the speed of the vehichle increases. And since your problem is intermittant with clutch engagement and throttle that rules out the driveshaft.

TKO's require you to index the bellhousing. And I meen that. I dont care what anyone else tells you. It needs to be done. Ive indexed 3 bellhousings to the back of my motor and none of them were anywhere close to being centered. The stock one was way off. The aluminum one I had from D&D for my tko was a little closer. And my mccleud steel bellhousing was close but no cigar. I had to index that and then my vibration went away.

I f you look at the aode to tko posts on coral or anywhere,or even tko s in 94/95,everyone complains that the shifter sits in the tunnel hole all the way to the right. which is also showing that the tailshaft is not aligned properly.imo
also they allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll complain about vibrations at over 55mph.
I made a homemade thing today and measured the driveshaft on point. its 3/8 of an inch from center to center off .
it was almost 2 inches prior to me sloting the crossmember side to side ,but the trans mountrubber is cocked and im not getting the full effect of my slot job.
FOLLOW ME?
If i can just get it loose and move it that hair...Ill be comfy enjoying romping on it.
But that didnt stop me from going thru 3rd and 4th next to a z06 tonight....the first 2 minutes I gave it a good test ride I got some action. Yeehaaaa

dannydoo said:
I f you look at the aode to tko posts on coral or anywhere,or even tko s in 94/95,everyone complains that the shifter sits in the tunnel hole all the way to the right. which is also showing that the tailshaft is not aligned properly.imo
also they allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll complain about vibrations at over 55mph.
I made a homemade thing today and measured the driveshaft on point. its 3/8 of an inch from center to center off .
it was almost 2 inches prior to me sloting the crossmember side to side ,but the trans mountrubber is cocked and im not getting the full effect of my slot job.
FOLLOW ME?
If i can just get it loose and move it that hair...Ill be comfy enjoying romping on it.
But that didnt stop me from going thru 3rd and 4th next to a z06 tonight....the first 2 minutes I gave it a good test ride I got some action. Yeehaaaa

I am having the same issues with vibrations over 70mph. My car, 89lx, Mcleod SFI bell, tko600(450 miles on it now) Spec stage3 clutch, aluminum DS balanced. Previoulsy I had a 3550 in it so the dimmensions are correct. Used same cross member. Only things I changed were tranny, clutch, DS yoke. U joints were checked as well. Vibration get worse as speed increases. THis did not vibrate before this swap. I've got Tremec Warrenty looking at it now, but it is annoying. How did you get the angle right? I'm thinking this may be my problem.

mize

You guys need to start describing your problems with rpm instead of mph, mph only effects the rear of the car, because that's the only section of the car spinning in as fast as the speedometer says. (other than when you are in 5th)

Since you know the problem here is the driveshaft foward, mph is irrelavent.
Mize, your problem sounds like u joints or unbalanced tires.

RPM is what matters.

I've had problems in the past that were related to a worn out flywheel (went unbalanced). Also sounds like you put used clutch and pressure plate parts in, that is never a good idea, when you weren't the guy to use them originally.

2000xp8 said:
Since you know the problem here is the driveshaft foward, mph is irrelavent.
Mize, your problem sounds like u joints or unbalanced tires.

RPM is what matters.

I've had problems in the past that were related to a worn out flywheel (went unbalanced). Also sounds like you put used clutch and pressure plate parts in, that is never a good idea, when you weren't the guy to use them originally.

Okay, I'll describe in more detail. In 1st-4th I can take it to redline with no vibration. I can stay in 2nd - 4th at 3000 rpms. no vibration. I can drive in 5th gear under 2000 rpms or 70 mph with no apparent vibration, but when I get over 2000 rpms or 70 mph in 5th gear, I get the vibration through the shifter. All 4 tires are brand new and balanced less then a month ago. Flywheel is Billet Steel custom balanced to my crank shaft. U joints would be the only thing left, but the DS shop said they were fine. I am curious as to what the wrong angle could cause though. I just want to rule that out if it doesnt effect it.

mize

the angles are critical.
I found that when you bolt the exhast back up it really holds the tranny in one spot.
The hieght of the tranny and rear pinion has to right.
They do that with an angle finder,then shim the rear arms and/or trans mount to get it right.
The vib you have sounds like it could be anything,but most say that 70mph and above vibe comes from the little shim on trans mount some guys put a 1/4 inch spacer and theyre good.
If I were u,I would clock the d/s into a different position
I bet it helps.
also 5th gear is real heavy,do you get a whine sound or is it a bad vibration?
could be the rear also.
if you go slow in 4th and let off the gas and on real light does it make noise??or vibe?

my tranny is driving me nutso!! I got poly mounts and seem to have a bad vibe also,but its right at 4k and kinda gets lighter as rpm climbs SOMETIMES
I put a new balancer and visually checked the flywheel and clutch while idling and looked fine.
except the wieghts on the dual centerforce looked to be wobbling a little and whatever they sit on looked to be wobbly a little also.
I have no clutch problems at all tho,no grabbing no squeeling,slipping ,nothing out of the ordinary.

I think their may be a bad bearing in the trans itself ? i wonder how i can tell?

I get no vibration at all unless I am in 5th gear above 70 mph. No whine, no sounds,just the vibration through the shifter. Where do theyh put these spacers? On the tranny mount bolts? I may just have the DS rebalanced. I cant see the position of the ds on the pinion causing this, but its an easy test.

dannydoo said:
the angles are critical.
I found that when you bolt the exhast back up it really holds the tranny in one spot.
The hieght of the tranny and rear pinion has to right.
They do that with an angle finder,then shim the rear arms and/or trans mount to get it right.
The vib you have sounds like it could be anything,but most say that 70mph and above vibe comes from the little shim on trans mount some guys put a 1/4 inch spacer and theyre good.
If I were u,I would clock the d/s into a different position
I bet it helps.
also 5th gear is real heavy,do you get a whine sound or is it a bad vibration?
could be the rear also.
if you go slow in 4th and let off the gas and on real light does it make noise??or vibe?

my tranny is driving me nutso!! I got poly mounts and seem to have a bad vibe also,but its right at 4k and kinda gets lighter as rpm climbs SOMETIMES
I put a new balancer and visually checked the flywheel and clutch while idling and looked fine.
except the wieghts on the dual centerforce looked to be wobbling a little and whatever they sit on looked to be wobbly a little also.
I have no clutch problems at all tho,no grabbing no squeeling,slipping ,nothing out of the ordinary.

I think their may be a bad bearing in the trans itself ? i wonder how i can tell?

Man!!!

3 hours on a lift and I found that my brand new ujoint caps were a hair too small and the driveshaft was freekin out. Thats after I put a new shaft in w/the new u joints ,pulled out and it was worse and i was pissed.

Then finally found that u joint thing. Now I get like zero tranny vibes.

Stock shaft I know is balanced perfect and wieghts arent gonna fal offf.
how could alum be stronger than steele anyway? its just lighter.

dannydoo,

What all did you do to slide the tranny over towards the driver's side? I have the same problems with my 3550. I have cut through the h-pipe hangers thinking the h-pipe was pulling it over, but that didn't help. I don't remember if it was like that before I just rebuilt my tranny and put it back in or not, but my new Pro 5.0 is hitting the side of the shifter hole and is vibrating the car(I hope). Please let me know in detail what and how you did it.

Thanks man

Did you do an aode to 5spd swap?

Loosen up the motor mounts and drill some side slots in the tran x member the exhaist has to be all loose also to get it to slide sideways.

But....you may only need to cut the sheetmetal a little if thats your only problems?

I had this fkn car up/down on the lift 30 times adjusting that thing man....experimenting shims everywhere and angles spacers u joints yolkes all that crap.....some guys get lucky first pop....
I hammered my trans tunnel for clearance also so the vent wasnt clogged and the trans could sit more properly....

the little wrinkles(creases) in the tunnel have to be hammered flat.

if that spring loaded breather is pushed down the fluid will pressurize and leak real fast....I made sure it had its room..

any other quest>?>>>???

you cant use a fox shifter arm theyre different ,also bolt the shifter handle on the left side of the shifter..

When Idid the TKO swap, I had to get the driveshaft rebalanced. Also, I noticed that the yoke was pressed against the output housing of the transmission. You will need to get the driveshaft shortened if yours does this as well.