Serpentine and newer radiators.

67coupestang

Founding Member
May 31, 2002
Well heres what got this started... My 67 has a cronic over heating problem. But looking at prices aluminum radiators, high flow pumps etc are all more expensive for the 67's then the fox bodies. Plus the fox bodies use a 27 or 30 wide radiator (bigger is better). WEll I have the front dress of a 87 t-bird all the serp stuff. If i relocate my battery is it possible to set in a 30 wide radiator? has anybody gone down this road? are there any write ups?

TIA

• Sponsors (?)

I'd be suprised. That area is pretty narrow. I bought a universal, it is the middle sized ford from jeg's and I doubt anything much wider would work. The voltage regulator hit on one side and the battery tray on the other before modification. I can't measure it now though, I am at work.

The problem with the serpentine setup is that it moves everything even closer to the core support so you have less room between the waterpump pulley and the radiator. Unless you use a 2 row (maybe 3 row) radiator there will simply not be enough room for a engine driven fan or a decent electric fan. I want the larger 2x1" aluminum core radiator so I moved my engine back 1/2" to make everything fit. You can use a 30" radiator in your car but you have to be willing to cut up the core support to allow for the extra airflow to make it worthwhile.

Man I have ALOT of room in front of my engine! (compared to my bronco anyway) I have like a 3" fan spacer and still plenty of room between my 69 351C radiator and the fan.

As for the voltage regulator, If i did the serp id run a 3G while i was at it. And the battery? I'd rather see that in the trunk anyways.

I dunno maybe this is all a pipe dream. For now i just may run a chevy style (bottom port on pass. side) cheapy from summit just to get the sucker cooled down

when i did the swap to my newer roller motor i went to the whole serp set up including the radiator from a 90 mustang. just make some brackets or use the one from the mustang on top side. i use the rad and electric fan and my car runs 170 all the time using a 160 thermostat. :D