She's My Cherry Bomb!

gregski

Mar 13, 2010
Sacramento, California
... Sweet Cherry Bomb.

Gentlemen:

What's better than a $20 dollar Cherry Bomb Turbo Muffler from Auto Zone ?

DSCN4746.jpg

DSCN4748.jpg

DSCN4750.jpg

DSCN4753.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Those are good mufflers for putting duals on stock or near stock motors. I would rather have them than Blowmaster any day. I like straight through like Dynomax Ultraflo and Magnaflow. The turbo type mufflers are a little too mild for me, but they do still sound good and not exagarated.

I can't believe they are still only 20 bucks. My friend got some for his 68 back in the mid 90's and they were 20 bucks then. I figured they would be at least 30 bucks by now.

I don't know about the new Cherry Bomb products, but the originals were built to last. I bought my '65 Fastback with a pair of '70s-vintage Cherry Bomb glasspacks on it that looked almost new when I pulled them off. The previous owner had possibly the worst exhaust guy on the planet install them, though - ugliest welds I'd ever seen. I removed them and cut off the buggered-up ends (a half-inch or so per end) and they were too pretty to discard.

A buddy of mine wanted them for a Model A rat rod he was building, so they saw another year or so of use with him. Never did blow the stuffing out of them.

I do like the sound of the longer glasspacks.

How can a tube like a glasspack be a turbo muffler?

Do you mean this Jones muffler? Thats a glasspack.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jone...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Look this up Classic Chambered Exhaust Inc. - Home Page I don't know if this is the same company as the one that was on ebaymotors I bought mine from (looked em up on teh bay, they're not listed now:shrug:), but the product is the same. Basically a perforated tube surrounded by a larger tube that's crimped every 6 inches or so to create chambers. Nice raspy sound when you let off the gas and an awesome sound at higher rpms on the highway (much like a 427 Cobra). Mine are 18" long, but he would make em to any length and size you wanted.

Look this up Classic Chambered Exhaust Inc. - Home Page I don't know if this is the same company as the one that was on ebaymotors I bought mine from (looked em up on teh bay, they're not listed now:shrug:), but the product is the same. Basically a perforated tube surrounded by a larger tube that's crimped every 6 inches or so to create chambers. Nice raspy sound when you let off the gas and an awesome sound at higher rpms on the highway (much like a 427 Cobra). Mine are 18" long, but he would make em to any length and size you wanted.

I have seen that before. I think its kinda cool. Its not a turbo muffler though. Thats a different design. I'm curious what the crimped areas do.

It looks like these. http://www.sweet-thunder.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZ64k5oMuN4

I have seen that before. I think its kinda cool. Its not a turbo muffler though. Thats a different design. I'm curious what the crimped areas do.

It looks like these. Corvette Exhaust System, Sidepipes, Mufflers - Sweet-Thunder - MC Productions

YouTube - 1995 5.8 f150 sweet thunder true duals

No, they're not turbo mufflers in the traditional sense, but they work the same. The chambers mellow out the sound waves. The longer they are, the more chambers they have and the quieter they are.

Thats cool. I bet the neighbors are happy you did that. Good idea to have the fire extinguisher handy. I see just about everything else, but where are you getting fuel from?

Nice job working in a Runaways reference.

I prefer Magnaflows myself but if your are just putting it on the stand to test then they are perfect. I ended up getting a free set of magnapacks for my start stand but I think they will be a bit loud. Can't beat the price though.