Shift Kit for FMX

I am thinking about buying this shift kit for my FMX transmission in my 65 mustang.
TransGo Performance 37-1 - TransGo Performance Shift Kits - Overview - SummitRacing.com
First of all has anyone put a shift kit in their FMX, and how much better is the shifting after it is put in, or if there is much difference at all. Ive read a few things online about it, and people have said that the gears were shifting too soon, especially first and third. Right now the shifting is kinda sloppy,and we are trying to get a firmer, more crisper shift. Any ideas

• Sponsors (?)

When you say sloppy, what do you mean? Does the trans slip? I mean, do the rpm's go a lot higher, then it gets the next gear?

The whole idea behind the shift kit is to get the trans to shift more firmly, and quicker. I have a kit in my 69 Cougar, (I think it's the same one) and it grabs gears nicely in drive.

Re

Ya thats exactly what i mean, it seems to be shifting at too high of rpms. And just the shifting into gears at certain rpms, seems off, but we dont have a tach in it, so i couldnt tell you the rpms its shifting at. But we just bought a TCI Breakaway Torque Converter, so thats why we are trying to just get everything on the transmission as good as we can get it, bc its a daily driven car. And also when you are going from park to either reverse or drive, it seems to hesitate, and you usually have to tap on the gas, and this is on flat ground as well.

yeah, i wouldnt go putting in a shift kit in unless the tranny was up to par. have it checked and maybe you can get lucky with a band adj and a flush. if you put the kit in and the tranny is going bad its only going to multiply the probs imho

I had a shift kit in mine. Seemed to do wonderfully. Nice firm shifts.

My FMX didn't have the kickdown linkage installed which sucked.

I believe there is some adjustment on the vacum diaphram that may help with your "waits too long to shift" problem. Or could be that it needs a new diaphram completely. It's the vacum signal (along with RPM) that controls when the transmission up-shifts.

Just talked to transmission guy who worked on the fmx awhile back, and he said we need to buy a new band for it, so bringing the car to him tom, and getting band installed, along with TCI breakway TC, and ordering the Transgo shift kit, said it would make it shift alot better, plus its cheap.