Shift kit...

Trefty

Aug 13, 2004
What exactly does a shift kit do? Does it allow you to hold the transmission in any gear? How does it work with the stock shifter? Also, how hard is the installation? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

It isn't hard at all as long as you have basic mechanical abilities. The shifter will still operate the same. A kit modifies the amount and pressure of the fluid as it travels through the valvebody. Certain kits are better than others but most give you the ability to hold the gears but if you're thinking about the 1-3-1 shift pattern, no it doesn't change that. It's the design of the tranny (AOD) that prevents a true 1-2-3 pattern. To get that feature, you'd have to change the valvebody itself that's been modified to do that.

Like others have said they are pretty easy to install. With a lift it will be even easier. The worst part is lying on your back in the transfluid that has inevititably(sp) leaked all over the driveway..

Have you already gotten a shiftkit yet?

Some guys have issues with the transgo shift kit shifting into OD at WOT which is a big :nono: unless you have at least upgraded the OD servo.

That said I have a transgo in my 93 and it does not shift into OD at WOT so I have no issues. It is a good kit from my experience with a hard 1-2 shift.

Another kit that people are big on the the Baumann shift kit. Their website is www.becontrols.com. Lots of pretty good info on there for AODs and you might also want to check out www.clickclickracing.com and look through forums there and post up. Pretty dedicated to auto transmissions in Mustangs and other Fords over there. LOTS of good info on that site.

transgo is the most complete kit for the do it yerselfer. do the od servo at the same time, and watch that when you reinstall the od servo that you get it in the band lug otherwise you shift 1-2-3-neutral. not cool, i'm speaking from experience.
transgo is the most recognized brand for trans. shops because their products are not only built for performance, but they fix common known issues with the transmissions they are designed for.