shifter recommendations?

custom89stang

Dec 9, 2003
Seattle, WA
on june 20th-23rd my mechanic is gonna help me do a auto to manual swap but he says i need all the shifting stuff... so i needa buy shift boot....and of course short throw shifter.... i was wondering what the best short throw shifter would be.... i dont know that much since i have had an AUTO all my 5.0 life. Thanks! ......Right now i'm looking at a pro 5.0 shifter for 165$ on ebay......is that good?

• Sponsors (?)

$165 for the pro 5.0 sound like a good deal to me, i see them everywhere for over $175. I have the MGW shifter and it is awesome! Beats the crap out of the B&M ripper shifter. Good luck with the swap, if your are like me you will have a grin on your face you can't control the first time you drive it.

I have used the following:

-Stock (obviously blows)
-Pro 5.0 (best)
-Hurst (decent, better than nothing)
-B&M Pro ripper (blows...fell apart on me lol, I have heard others with similar issues as well)

I personally would get the Pro 5.0, either that or the steeda tri-ax. I have heard they are very similar although I have not tried the tri-ax.

I have a Steeda Tri-Ax with a Kona Racing steel shifter handle.The handle looks like a fine quality piece.

This company also sells the Pro 5.0 shifter with a steel Kona shifter handle thats bent like the stock shifter handle not like the straight up Pro 5.0 handle for $169.99. www.konaracing.com

I think it`s just a one man operation so response times are kind of slow.

I have had the following:
Pro-50- Good Shifter, didn't like the straight handle.
Tri-Ax- Good Shifter, more comfortable than the Pro-50
UPR-Same as the Tri-Ax but less money
Hurst-Better than stock but not great, liked the handle angle.

Tried the MGW on a friends car and it was Great! :hail2:

If I were to buy a new one now it would be MGW. :nice:

i have the upr blue thunder shifter, was 140$ with a height adjustable handle that is trick as hell, looks and feels identical to the steeda tri ax, i had to shim the side to side springs though to get the car into reverse real smooth with this shifter, my tranny is pretty damn new though also, feels invincible, i like the way the mgw shifter looks though! looks cool, the upr shifter is also quieter than my friends steeda car.

I have had a pro50 and the steeda which I run now. The only way I can explain it is if I were building a race car it would be the pro50. But if I were going to drive it on the street go with the steeda(comfort, you dont have to reach for the shifter).