Shifting Problems

Weaponrider

Jun 30, 2005
Ohio
i have a 1991 mustang gt with the aod tranny in it. here reciently the shifting in it has started to mess up. to get the tranny out of firsat gear you pretty much have to get it up to 6000rpm to shift and the same with second. i can get it to hit all gear and have reciently tried a new valve body to try and fix the problem and it didnt work. when you put the car at wot while crusing it just reves. i would like to know if maybe there is a bad spring in it or something that might be an easy fix. what all am i looking at???

• Sponsors (?)

:nice: take your car and have the t.v cable adjusted properly and hope ya didnt fry your tranny with it being misadjusted.i say take it and have it done becouse i kinda doubt you have the equipment neccesary to do it correctly however if you dont have the cash and your feeling lucky you can attempt to get it close yourself just make sure the lil gay plastic nipple that keeps the adjuster in place after u adjust it holds ive seen quite a few break and end up having to be zip tied temporarily.good luck

"First off, I'm not real familar with ford automatics but it doesnt matter because they are all similar in operation. Yup, check the T.V. cable first to make sure it aint broke and that its hooked up. The more you step on the gas the more you pull the cable and then the cable moves the Throttle pressure Valve (TV) which increase pressure inside the trans resulting in a higher shift. Hi pressure equals hi shift points, low pressure equals low shift points. The TV cable should feel like its spring loaded when you pull on it, unhook it and give it a yank, if it doenst feel spring loaded then the TV valve might be stuck in the valve body which means the valve body may have to come out. If that feels good then your gonna have to pull the governer out of the tranny and check the gear on the end of the governer, they are usually plastic and strip out sometimes. On the back of the tranny is a cover that usually pops off with a screwdriver and the governer just pulls out. The governer drives off the tailshaft and the cover is about 3 -4 " inches around and dome shaped usually with a o ring on it. The gear is pinned or pressed on. A hammer and a punch should get it off."

not my words but thought it would help ya :flag: