Short throw shifter install.

Saleenflyer

Dec 19, 2012
Hey everyone. This is my first post ever here so I'll try to make it a good one. I'm a Marine stationed in Miramar San diego and I recently bought a 05 mustang saleen. The other day it :poo: the shifter and I was hoping y'all could point me in the right direction. I'm going to buy the mgw one and I'm pretty mechanically inclined but I don't have much experience on this car. Thanks and have a good one!

• Sponsors (?)

First, thank you for your service! You shouldn't have any troubles with the shifter install - but you do have to do some work from underneath the car. You'll need a jack/jack stands at the minimum and standard hand tools. There are some nice videos that cover the installation, I think on the MGW website. Also check American Muscle, they have some how-to stuff. The install is pretty much the same for all the aftermarket shifters.

Cool thanks for the response. I was talking to my buddy today tho and he said that it could actually be the linkage to the transmission, not part of the shifter. Do you gents know how to diagnose that without tearing it apart?

You'd have to get under the car to see. If you look at pictures of the shifter for our car, it has a linkage that connects into the side of the transmission. This is probably what your buddy is talking about. It could indeed be loose - it attaches at both the front and rear of the linkage. Front goes into tranny, rear attaches to body of car. If either is loose, you could have issues shifting.

Ok. I ordered the mgw sifter Friday and they said the soonest they could get it to me was the 12th. Kinda sucks having to wait that long but they didn't Have any in stock. I read online that it could be broken components in the top of the tranny, in which case the whole thing would have to come out and get opened up. The shifter as it is now has no resistance or notches at all, it has complete free play within the shifting box. Idk if that is indicative of something but I just thought I'd throw it out there in hopes that you guys might know. Thanks again for the input and merry Christmas!