Shorty headers, with RPM kit installed on a 289

Bosscat

Founding Member
Sep 30, 1999
England
Are shorty headers worth the money, if I have the stock heads? The intake and cam have been changed out with an Edelbrock RPM kit, but they left the heads stock. Has any done this swap, if so was it worth the money? I have the engine pulled at the moment, so I figure this would be the best time to do it. I was going to install a 2 1/2 inch exhaust system as well.

Cheers,
Tony

• Sponsors (?)

With shorty's, you have the option of doing these with the engine in the car. Not hard to install. Even some long tube 4 into 1's can be easy. I just did this with my 77 Comet, the Hedman 88300's slid right into place from under the car with the engine raised off the mounts. You might also consider the Shelby type Tri-Y's as well.

I would ditch the stock manifolds. Heads definately make a difference, but there were good running motors before there was one single aftermarket head. You can get into the 12's with stock heads, so I don't agree that mods are "not worth it w/o" aftermarket heads. I went high 11's on motor and 10.70's with a 200 shot with a 306 and home ported stock valve 351w heads pre-aftermarket.

I would seriously consider going with long-tube headers unless you already have the shorties on hand.

I ran the RPM kit with stock heads for awhile and the car ran great- but the Trick Flow heads did really wake the car up, when I finally had the money to put them on.