SHR Louvers Installed!

• Sponsors (?)

Got mine the other day, did not order the tool though. I've been to a couple of auto-parts stores around here and none of them have the windsheild removal tool. I called a couple of glass shops in the area thinking the labor would be at or around the same price as the special tools and materials (I don't even own any metric tools, being more classic mustang oriented when it comes to turning wrenches). Three different glass shops estimated between $190 and $350 to do the job for me.

So, I cannot find a local retail place to buy the tool and I'm NOT gonna pay hundreds of dollars to have it done. I'm leaning heavily on the break them out and glue them in approach. Wont take three hours, and I wont have to buy metric sockets/torx bits/ and glass removal tools that I'll never need again.

Any suggestions opinions?

Thanks for the reply, so the factory sealant/glue is pretty strong?

I'm not too worried about glass bits getting everywhere, there's already some tint on the inside and I'd coat both sides with sturdy tape too. OEM glass is expensive and I'd like to have the option of returning it to stock sometime later should these SHR pieces fade/crack/fog-up or anything.

The factory adhesive is pretty strong as it took my Dad and I at least 30-45 sawing through it(a few times the wire snapped and had to be replaced). I used the windshield removal kit/adhesion promoter/sealant from SHR($75). I was on the inside and Dad was on the outside and we used it like a two-man log saw:rlaugh: I was only able to get about halfway back by myself using one arm inside and the other outside. I wanted to avoid breaking mine for the same reason of having to put them back in at some point. I ended up doing it myself after getting shot down by 6 glass shops and the local Ford body shop wouldn't do it either. Only thing I should've done was use a thicker bead as mine are sunk in a bit or used some type of small spacer that would've been covered by the sealant. All in all, I would definitely do this install again...if I had to:nice:

Here is a pic of the tool in use.
2376321336_c13cd6b59f_b.jpg

the glass shops want that much to R&I a freakin quarter window? its $65/window here. take it to a bodyshop and ask them how much to do the job. labor rates are limited by book time, so they typically will not gouge you like a glass company can.

My dealer did mine for about $75. They gave me a deal on it, but still. I can't see why places are so worried about doing it. It's no different than replacing any other glass window. The only difference I can see is that you need to use adhesion promoter on the louvers.

The $190 was from Binswanger, $85 per side, from 'the book" that says how many hours each piece takes for year/make/model.

I'll call FoMoCo and some body shops tomorrow, thanks for the tip!

I cannot justify spending $75 for the tool, plus another ~$25 for the other tools, promoter and adhesives for this one task, and then spend 2-3 hours in 100 degree heat doing this...assuming I can get it done for $100-150.

The $75 was for the kit, promoter, adhesive and the $12 shipping. Might never use the kit again, but to me that ended up being money well spent as I love working on my car if I can and saved a few bucks in the process.