SIDE EXIT EXHAUST PIC REQUEST

• Sponsors (?)

Are you talking about '00 Cobra R side exit style, or '80s jacked up Camaro mullet style "side pipes"? :lol:

I wanted the Spintech side exit kit forever but i'm set on regular old nice tail pipes now. I have pics of both but not on this PC, i'll get'em posted in a bit.

made it my self using some old h-pipes and pie cuts.
000_0714.jpg

I think any side exit on a fox needs squared rectangular tips to flow with the body lines. kind of like the Nascar style boom tubes. those look baddass on anything.

side exhaust is the ugliest thing u could do to a fox
well not if done right, i might just have project on my hands. the reson is i was so fixed on lx tails with a cobra rear, but i have a 3" cowl to put on,something i like regardless of your opinions,
and a rear cobra bumper with a high hood makes the car look like it has a skinny rear. kind of like a british bulldog; big up front and small in the back:rlaugh:.....
i keep changing my mind, a gt cat back is invisible so i mine as well go dumps. lx wont work with the gt effect too well, and i cant decide....thats all so i want to see what some side exits look like, more like the cobra R side exits rather than the diesel truck side step style....no offense

My experience with side-exits on Foxes has not been favorable. Tried it on two separate cars, both were '89 notches, and used the same mufflers for each but different mid-pipes and exit pipe setups.

The first looked/sounded best, but was still not all that great. Dynomax #37676 mufflers with the 2.5" inlet/outlet on the same side and a hanger mount on the back of the muffler. Running an off-road H-pipe ahead of it and having the tails come straight out the sides with oval-shaped chrome tips that were flush with the rockers, it didn't look bad, IMO, and sounded just like the black Charger in "Bullitt," but compromising between ground clearance and chassis clearance with the pipes was a major PITA - too low and it would scrape on every darned speedbump and driveway edge, too high and it would thump and rattle against the undercarriage all of the time.

Second time I tried it with the same mufflers on a different notch, but with an off-road X-pipe and with 45* angled-back exits. It looked goofy as hell, and the X-pipe made it sound WAY too much like Cooter's towtruck. I ditched it and went back to having Dynomax stainless tails and Pypes Violators mufflers, which sound AWESOME with an X-pipe. :nice:

In both cases, there wasn't any drone, per se, but rather the sound was VERY intrusive in the interior at ALL RPM's and ALL speeds, especially with the windows down. It's fun and cool for about ... ummm ... maybe 30 minutes to an hour. After the "new" wears off, it can be pretty obnoxious ... unless, of course, you're into that sorta thing. Also, sitting with your windows down at stoplights and a slight wind from either side will just about make you gag from the fumes blowing in ... again, unless you're into that sort of thing. :shrug:

However, going by those concrete divider barriers on the highway and romping on it was kinda cool, and I got a kick out of scaring people next to me at stoplights, gas stations, and parking lots since the outlets were aimed right at them. :D

There's other ways to go about the side-exit thing, obviously, but that was the cheapest and easiest way I found. The parts you'll need:

(2) Dynomax #37676 Super Turbo 2.5" mufflers - about $100 a pair
(2) 2.5" flowtubes (or re-use yours from an existing cat-back) - about $40 a pair new
(4) 2.5" clamps - $10, unless you opt for stainless or heavy-duty
(2) universal muffler hangers (the U-bolt kind with a metal strap on 'em, to secure the exit pipes and keep them from banging/bobbing around) - $6
(2) 18" long diameter straight pipes in 2.5" - $10
(2) 90* elbows in 2.5" - $10
(2) decorative exhaust tips of your choice (optional) -$??? (mine were freebie leftovers)

TOTAL: about $175 to $200

I've honestly toyed with the idea of running side-exits on my '84 just as a ghetto-cheap and easy means of getting around the cost and hassle of relocating the external fuel pump and filter by just hacking up the stock Y-pipe and running straight non-crossover duals with small tube-style (glasspack shape) mufflers angled out at 45*. Probably would sound like poo on my stock CFI motor, though... :shrug: