simple brake question

Kraw

Nail On The Head El Moderatoro
Founding Member
so, I've got everything together (http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=719120). Brakes feel good, no dragging.

I look under hte car and can see random small splatters along the tires. I wipe a rag around where the brake line connects to the caliper. I get a small dab of moisture. I take the cable off and put on new brass washers (came with the caliper).

Tighten her down lightly (15lb/ft) and take for another drive. I still see fluid spots. I tighten the bolt up some more, get it good and snug. Go for another drive. Spots are less (I wipe off the old ones between drives) but still there.

Is there anything that can be causing this other then a loose connection? The calipers are rebuilt units. Excellent pedal and stopping power, just those spotty areas concerning me.

I assume you can't teflon tape the brake line bolt due to the fact that the fluid would break down the tape right? I'm cautious to over torquing as I had that incident with the first caliper.

Could the bolt be "bad"? What else could it possibly be. I'm about 98% sure it's somewhere around that bolt. If it keeps up, I may take the caliper back and say it's defective and buy new brake lines at the same time.

• Sponsors (?)

Try a new banjo bolt. Also inspect the rubber lines where they go into the metal flange on the line. Maybe they are rotted there and they are just dripping down to the bolt area.

Could the bolt be "bad"? What else could it possibly be. I'm about 98% sure it's somewhere around that bolt. If it keeps up, I may take the caliper back and say it's defective and buy new brake lines at the same time.

I assume you have stock rubber brake lines. Considering your problem, now is probably a real good time to upgrade to a set of stainless brake lines from Maximum Motorsports. They should be less than $100 shipped, fit perfectly, come with new bolts and washers, and probably will solve your leaking problem.

I installed them last weekend, as well as speed bleeders. :nice: :nice: :nice:

The install and bleeding went very well, easier than I thought it would be. I'm very pleased with the results. :)

when you installed your bango bolt, did you use a torque wrench? When I installed my first caliper, the threads were bad on it and I stripped it rather easily. Now I'm sorta "gunshy" as to how tight I should tighten the bolts. I used my tq wrench but it never clicked.

I did feel like I got them good and tight yet I still saw the spots.

I'll go to the parts store and pick up some lines today and try that. I don't really see a point in SS brake lines when it's only a commuter/wife's car :( I just need to get it going.

I wanted to get the Bullitt kit, but the wife said "why would I make my car look like something it isn't" :D she's getting on to her dad right now for trying to build a 69 Cobra clone (or something like that) saying that if it isn't the real thing, it's no good lol

I checked today and no leaks. COuld it just have been excess coming out of the thread area?

When I did my Cobra Brake Upgrade, I test fit the banjo bolts and I'd swear they (or the holes they fit into were different). One bolt fit one hole well, and the other bolt fit into the other caliper, but not vice versa...they actually fit, but not well.
You can use pipe sealant, but you dont wanna use teflon tape.

Did you reuse the copper crush washers or install new ones??

You shouldn't need any sealant on brake fittings. Take the banjos out, use fresh copper crush washers and retighten them up.

BTW, SS lines make s ahuge difference...even on a "commuter" car. Much better pedal feel and response.