Slightly OT; Cryrogenically frozen engines

WarrenC

Jun 4, 2004
Slightly OT; Cryogenically frozen engines

I was listening to the radio today, and they had on a guy who cryogenically freezes motors and other things made of metal. He says that it increases strength and can make a motor last 3 to 5 times longer than normal. He also said that some NASCAR people were using it. Sounding interesting to me, wondered if anyone else has heard of this or perhaps tried it?
His website is www.cryopro.com if anyone wants to check it out.

• Sponsors (?)

Actually, the guy on the radio said a TV program did a show on him and they claimed that he had said that. He said they sort of picked and choose what they wanted to hear. He said in reality he was getting 60mpg instead of the 50 he was getting before in his hybrid.
Anyway, he said he could do a V8 for about $350 which doesn't sound too bad. He also said it isn't worth it to take a perfectly good motor and tear it down for this. Only if someone was rebulding anyway would he suggest it.
I was intrigued by the idea and surprised I hadn't heard of it before. Unfortunately, I'm nowhere near him and have no plans to rebuild any motors in the near future!

I seen the intake coolers they use for racing ( a vinyl filled water bag that got frozen) Some people swear by them. I kinda doubt they do much but then who knows.

what cryogenics does for metal is to straighten out the grain of the metal, and relieve the internal stress on any part that is frozen. that said however, you have to take the part down quite cold for a fairly long period of time, you cant just soak it in liquid nitrogen overnite, and then the part has to be slowly brought back to room temprature before you get the benefits of cryogenics. it does add to component life, and surface toughness as well, however you have to decide whether or not it is worth the money to do the job. i have thought about doing it at one time, but i have since decided the cost wasnt worth the effort for a daily driver.