Sludge In Upper And Lower Intake

Martman

Jun 20, 2016
Louisville, KY
Okay been a long time since I have seen the inside of an intake. However I am pretty sure I should not have this much sludge in the intake. Maybe a pcv issue?

b5e216976b20ccce6ca6b7b091c1c57c.jpg
064ac8a6f9801cc03b249e0ccd142460.jpg
d4fac885f0f606f88c5f60b010e7ff59.jpg

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

• Sponsors (?)

It's still usable, but you'll make things easier on your self sticking to a mainstream setup that is as designed. Let's say you ever want a supercharger in the future. The intake tube may not work correctly.

Just sell the upper. You can even pick up a Ford Explorer upper as they are usually cheaper

A 94-95 cobra upper is slightly more valueavle than a 1993 upper, and explorer uppers are like $100

Sent from my big ass iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Wanted to post another piece to this since I have had to replace the TFI and trying to fix code 34 of EGR this week. So my original work for this thread was while I was replacing valve cover gaskets.

Last night I pulled the EGR valve off. It was basically blocked with build up, and I mean a lot of moist carbon build up. I immediately knew the EGR plate had to be that way so away I go to start removing things. And yep it was pretty nasty as well. However, the one thing that I did notice and I have read a lot about is the fact of oil in the upper intake.

As you can see in my picture below I have a small puddle and you can see just how nasty the egr cavitys were. My 90 LX 5.0 never looked like this. The pcv valve rattles so I think that means it is okay. Would this be a normal amount expected from the PCV system or do you think I have substantial blowby? The oil is just a very small amount you see at the bottom. I have only had the car a few months but have already found some "wonderful" things the POs did or didn't do. Also the moisture in the egr cavities was there. This is basically as soon as I got the EGR plate off.

This does have a BBK 65mm TB and I assume the same EGR plate since the openings are the same.

IMG_20161006_201619.jpg

Reactions: 1 user
major neglect there

how is the PCV system I bet it is clogged.. . I;d try and hit that engine with either a GM top end cleaner or MCCC (Mopar Combustion Chamber Cleaner) and dump a 20oz bottle of techron in the gas tank.

Man that's dirty. Down below the pcv valve is a metal screen. A lot of people don't even know about it. Its there to help keep oil out of the pcv system. They usually clog before the intake gets that bad.

To remove it screw a drywall screw into it and pull it out with pliers. In your situation its probably missing. If you stick a screw driver in the hole and don't hit something about 1/2in down then its not there. There's a lip in the hole to keep the screen from going all the way into the motor.

Here's what it looks like. Latemodelretoration.com has them.
uploadfromtaptalk1475887437016.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
My 91' 5.0 intake manifold was sludged-up also and the throttle body was soaked in oil. Took it apart, cleaned everything with engine degreaser and I also cleaned out the PCV filter and installed a new PCV valve. That was a year ago and everything is still dry and clean.