small air cleaner???

panteramatt

Mar 5, 2004
I need a air cleaner thats pretty small in size cause when I close my hood, I notice there isnt much room at all. I want one that will work with the scoop to get more air. I remember seeing a small triangle one with a mesh top but dont know where to get it?

• Sponsors (?)

Thats the intake that I was looking for but I dont like foam filters either. I have a 69 mach1 with a 351 with a victor jr intake and holly carb and Id really like a air filter that would work with the hood scoop and thats the onlt one I can think of. Theres hardly any room for an air filter and it cuurntly doesnt have one which isnt good. Where can I get one of these recessed ones?

I modified a stock air cleaner base by removing the snorkel, blocking it with a home made delete plate amd drilling three 1/4" drain holes. Works well with scoop.

Attachments

• 78317341307_0_ALB[1].jpg
    78317341307_0_ALB[1].jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 200
agreed, stay away from foam type elements.
I too have basically no room between my carb and hood, but was able to fit a k&n 14x3 with a drop base.
look into:
Moroso
Mr Gasket
Holley?
or search google for "spun aluminum air cleaner"

Anything with Small and Air isn't a good thing. When building a motor, you want to allow a free flow of air, be it intake or exhaust. (Lets not start the debate on free flowing exhaust here....)

Be sure that with whatever you get, it flows enough to keep up with your motor. The one thing I hate seeing is a guy with a 1050 dominator, and yet he's running one of those foam Edelbrock air cleaners on his show car. They don't flow enough to keep up with the motor, so you're trying to basically breathe through a straw... it doesnt work.

My suggestion would be a drop intake 14 inch, with an open top as shown above. Make sure it is big enough to flow that which your motor demands.

I ran the foarm edelbrock for awhile. It worked ok, but I did have a backfire and all it did was melt a big hole in it.

a few years ago I read an article about air cleaner size and hp gain/loss. They took a motor and dyno'd it with several different sizes of k&N filters.

believe it or not, but the smallest filter they used made the most HP.

they theorized that it kept the air from becoming turbulent.

I doubt I still have the magazine, but I will look.

hungrymonkey said:
a few years ago I read an article about air cleaner size and hp gain/loss. They took a motor and dyno'd it with several different sizes of k&N filters.

I find that extremely hard to believe. Thats like saying use smaller ports because the air will become less turbulent. Besides, the air is entering at all sorts of angles through the air cleaner, that do not directly correlate to the direction which it flows into the venturis of the carburetor, which could not translate to the turbulence felt there.

I'm just not seeing the possibilities. I've read many a magazine where they've choked out a motor with a small paper cleaner, and then added a K&N. More flow= More power.

hungrymonkey said:

i rember that same article. they also claimed that not running an air filter made the worst HP. the speculated exactly what Hungrymonkey said. the base helped funnel the air in and reduced turbulance. I dont rember what they used for a test motor, but i dont think it was anything big. and your engine can only pull in as much air as its setup to do, Cam, heads, intake, carb, and cubes.