Smog in Cali

fobra559

At least it's more erect and not floppy anymore.
Nov 1, 2007
Lindsay, CA
How often do we need to get a smog check in California? Have a 03. I was told every 3 or 4 years but I just wanted to be sure. Any info would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

It is every 2 years. If you are the original owner of a car you bought brand new, then you won't be tested for the first 6 years and then every 2 years after that. If there is an ownership change within the first 6 years, then that car must be tested every 3 years. After that, every 2 years again. A little confusing, but that's the latest as I know it. I use to be a licensed smog inspector for the state, but where I currently work, we are state licensed smog station.

If you are the original owner of your 03, you have one more year before your required smog inspection. If you are the second owner, then you are due...Your DMV renewal notice will tell you as well. Hope this helps.

It is every 2 years. If you are the original owner of a car you bought brand new, then you won't be tested for the first 6 years and then every 2 years after that. If there is an ownership change within the first 6 years, then that car must be tested every 3 years. After that, every 2 years again. A little confusing, but that's the latest as I know it. I use to be a licensed smog inspector for the state, but where I currently work, we are state licensed smog station.

If you are the original owner of your 03, you have one more year before your required smog inspection. If you are the second owner, then you are due...Your DMV renewal notice will tell you as well. Hope this helps.

got any tricks for passing? just wundering because eventually i want to make some seriouse power with ported heads stage 1 cams and about 14psi on my vortech. i was gona swap my pulleys for the inspection. but like i said got any tips?

got any tricks for passing? just wundering because eventually i want to make some seriouse power with ported heads stage 1 cams and about 14psi on my vortech. i was gona swap my pulleys for the inspection. but like i said got any tips?

you need a smart tune, for my build i got one tune for street one for smogging from Tim. Also make sure your car is nice and warm, and when you pull into the place leave it running. Use the lowest octane you can safely use with your set up - and make sure your spark plugs are in good order and have as big a gap as you can get away with w/out blow-out to get a full burn.

you need a smart tune, for my build i got one tune for street one for smogging from Tim. Also make sure your car is nice and warm, and when you pull into the place leave it running. Use the lowest octane you can safely use with your set up - and make sure your spark plugs are in good order and have as big a gap as you can get away with w/out blow-out to get a full burn.

thanks but i already know those tips. I was looking for something else.

That's why I went with a P1SC-2 Procharger unit that is ARB approved. I didn't want the hassle of trying to get it passed smog. The ARB tag is plastered right on it. Even the guy at our station won't fudge, and I'm his boss. The consequences for getting caught are a lot steeper than a few years ago. There's still a select few that take bribes for certs, but these guys are getting harder & harder to find. You have a much better chance if your car passes at the pipe, because a lot of these guys don't have enough knowledge to fail you on the visual. Example: Most high flow cats are not ARB approved but they will pass at the pipe. Same with CAI. Remember, if you fail, you may end up on the "Test Only" list, which is not good. More hassles...Advice: Make sure your blower is ARB approved. For California it actually should be CARB approved. Carb stands for "California Air Resources Board". Hope this helps.

Oh, something else, ask the guy if he will test your car off the record (state computer) first, so you know where you stand. Like I said, you don't want to get on the State's test only list. Most guys will do this for you, although he will still make you pay. Even my guy would do this for a customer cause there's nothing illegal about a pre-test.

I barely got the the car last summer in June of 2007(cant believe it's 2008 already.) The original owner had the car smog before he handed it over to me. I was thinking I would need it smog somewhere in 2009 maybe.

You should be up for a smog test in 09. UDPs won't effect your at the pipe reading and most inspecters would never spot the pullies, but don't polish them all up just before the test. lol

:lol: Thanks for the info man, you have been a great help.

One last question(maybe). How much does it cost to have someone pass smog in case if I feel lazy and don't want to swap the mid pipe for the stocker? I know prices will vary but just wanted a idea.

That's why I went with a P1SC-2 Procharger unit that is ARB approved. I didn't want the hassle of trying to get it passed smog. The ARB tag is plastered right on it. Even the guy at our station won't fudge, and I'm his boss. The consequences for getting caught are a lot steeper than a few years ago. There's still a select few that take bribes for certs, but these guys are getting harder & harder to find. You have a much better chance if your car passes at the pipe, because a lot of these guys don't have enough knowledge to fail you on the visual. Example: Most high flow cats are not ARB approved but they will pass at the pipe. Same with CAI. Remember, if you fail, you may end up on the "Test Only" list, which is not good. More hassles...Advice: Make sure your blower is ARB approved. For California it actually should be CARB approved. Carb stands for "California Air Resources Board". Hope this helps.

Oh, something else, ask the guy if he will test your car off the record (state computer) first, so you know where you stand. Like I said, you don't want to get on the State's test only list. Most guys will do this for you, although he will still make you pay. Even my guy would do this for a customer cause there's nothing illegal about a pre-test.

my vortech has a CARD EO number stamped on the ident plate. why exactly is it bad to be on the test only list? out here sometime you have to take your car to a test only shop.

Test only cars are usually gross polluters or over 15 years old. Test only stations cannot repair or diagnose your car. They simply report to the state. Additionally, they are not allowed to pre test your vehicle and the cost is higher. Those cars on the test only list are cars that have been flagged as a potential problem and their tests are scrutinized when they are sent to the state.