smoke from steering column, now no start!

i just went out to start my car everything is as usual until i turn the key to start it and some smoke comes outta the steering column. the same smell smoke that smells when something electrical burns..

now when i go to start my car if i turn the key to accessory everything comes on and works, fuel pump primes, ect.. now when i turn the key to start nothing happens the key turns everthing still stays on but like i said, no engine starting or any sound for that matter..

has anyone had this happen to them or know what the problem is here, this is my only car and this leaves me stranded! my 5.0 has always been so reliable and now this happens. kinda sucks but oh well, hopefully someone here can help me.

• Sponsors (?)

ok i just replaced the ignition switch and still no go.. what gives? the wiring all looks fine and it was definatly the old one that went becauase i smelled the inside and it smells like burnt wires.. am i missing somerthing?

Check all of your fuses and check the fusible links next to the solenoid in the engine bay. You can also turn the key to the on/run position and jump the solenoid to make sure you are getting power to the stater and solenoid. jrichker will come along and post his checklist to help you out. If not, do a search on jrichker and ignition switch or something similar.

Tim

everything works fine in the car, lights, stereo, turn signals, fuel pump primes ect ect.. when i press the clutch in to start and turn the key the dash lights (battery, air bag ect.. all light up as if the car was going to start) but the engine doesnt crank, click turn over nothing...

as i said i replaced the ignition switch but i dont know where to go from here..

jrichker said:
6.) Jump the big terminals on the starter relay next to the battery with a screwdriver - watch out for the sparks! If the engine cranks, the starter and power wiring are good. The starter relay is also known as a starter solenoid. If jumpering the two big solenoid posts made the starter crank, the logical next step is to replace the starter solenoid (also known as the starter relay).

Here is the rest of the thread.
http://eleanor.pro3i.com/showthread.php?t=530125&highlight=starter

stang22 said:

I went out this morning and went through jrickers checklist and made it to number 6... when i jumped the 2 terminals on the starter solenoid/relay the engine cranked over. lots of pretty sparks too, lol.

So i guess that is the 2nd problem. for some reason when the ignition switch went it made the starter solenoid go as well. After work today im going to pick a new one up, install it and HOPEFULLY it fixes my problem..

ill keep ya posted.

THC420 said:
I went out this morning and went through jrickers checklist and made it to number 6... when i jumped the 2 terminals on the starter solenoid/relay the engine cranked over. lots of pretty sparks too, lol.

So i guess that is the 2nd problem. for some reason when the ignition switch went it made the starter solenoid go as well. After work today im going to pick a new one up, install it and HOPEFULLY it fixes my problem..

ill keep ya posted.

Right, when you turn the key to the start position it send a signal to the solenoid via the small wire connected to it. That opens the loop from post to post on the solenoid and sends voltage to the starter and the car starts. Sounds like the ignition switch isn't doing it's job. It could be the solenoid, but I am not 100% sure. I hope you get it fixed.

Tim

ok i installed the new starter relay today and the ignition switch last nite.. still nothing..

on jrichers checklist:

4.) Put the car's transmission in neutral or have someone press in on the clutch. Then pull the small push on connector (red wire) off the starter relay (Looks like it is stuck on a screw) and jump it to the terminal that is connected to the battery. If it starts, the relay is good and your problem is in the rest of the circuit.

---ok when i do this nothing happens with the key in the run position this wire is gettting no power.. i used my DMM from the end of that wire to the little post it connects to and got readings of 0.

5.) .) Remember to check the ignition switch, neutral safety switch on auto trans and the clutch safety switch on manual trans cars. If they are good, then the relay is bad. See http://www.autozone.com/images/cds/...23d80195960.gif for a very good diagram of the starter & neutral safety switch wiring

---I didnt check the clutch safety switch because im not too sure what im looking for..

6.) Jump the big terminals on the starter relay next to the battery with a screwdriver - watch out for the sparks! If the engine cranks, the starter and power wiring are good. The starter relay is also known as a starter solenoid. If jumpering the two big solenoid posts made the starter crank, the logical next step is to replace the starter solenoid (also known as the starter relay).

---When i did this the car cranked over.

i dont know where to go from here, im assuming my problem is lying with the small turn on wire that goes to the starter relay.

The push on connector is only powered up when the key is turned to the crank position.

Jumpering the stud for the push on connector to the battery side of the starter solenoid will cause the car to crank if everything else is good. Since you have already jumperd the two big terminals on the starter relay and cranked the car, this is the next step. If it cranks this way, the problem is in the ignition switch wiring or clutch safety switch or its wiring.

The clutch safety switch is on top of the clutch pedal.
Use your DVM to trace voltage through the path on the following diagram...

Diagram courtsey of Autozone...
0900823d80195963.gif

AutoZone wiring diagrams

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/16/71/3c/0900823d8016713c.jsp for 79-88 model cars

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/19/59/5a/0900823d8019595a.jsp for 89-93 model cars

http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiB..._us/0900823d/80/1d/db/3c/0900823d801ddb3c.jsp for 94-98 model cars

THC420 said:
so since the ignition switch and starter relay are new, and the car doesnt crank when i touch the push on connector to the positive side of the starter relay, where do you think my problem lies?
OOPs - I made some edits in my last post that may help. Sorry I didn't think of them at first...

The main thing is to jumper the push on stud to the battery stud. If it cranks then the problem is back upstream towards the clutch safety switch & the ignition switch wiring.