smoke from steering column, now no start!

THC420 said:
ok i just jumperd that little post to the positive post and the car started up just fine... now what should i be looking for, testing for upstream?

Clutch safety switch and ignition switch wiring.

You probably will need a helper to hold the key in the crank position while you poke and probe the wiring. Remember the warning about bypassing the interlocks, as it still holds true.

I would look very carefully at the wiring in the steering column. Follow the diagram I posted earlier. Use a test light to determine that when you twist the key to the start position that you have power to white/pink wire on the ignition switch. The transmission harness under the car has a jumper in it to bypass the neutral safety switch found only in auto trans cars. Check the red/lt blue wire to make sure that the power from turning the igniton switch to the start position is getting to it. Do the same to the clutch safety switch which uses the same red/lt blue wire.

• Sponsors (?)

i found the problem... the pink wire had melted right before it goes into the harness that plugs into the ignition switch... this should be easy to cut the old wire out and put some new wire in..

1 problem though.. where do i get one of those metal crimp on ends that goes into the harness and how to i release the old metal one from the wire that melted?

THC420 said:
i found the problem... the pink wire had melted right before it goes into the harness that plugs into the ignition switch... this should be easy to cut the old wire out and put some new wire in..

1 problem though.. where do i get one of those metal crimp on ends that goes into the harness and how to i release the old metal one from the wire that melted?

Cut the end off and take it to AutoZone or any local parts store and see if they have one.

Glad you found your problem! :nice: I had a problem that was killing for about a week and it turned out to connector to the wire itself. :doh:

Joe Richker is definately one of the experts when it comes to wiring and computer stuff.

Tim

When i went to ford this morning i bought a new wire with the clip on the end of it to slide into the harness. Got home cut the burnt section of the pink wire out and replaced it with the one i bought. Once it was all back together it was time for the moment of truth..

:D :D :D :D It fired right up! those electrical/electronics classes ive been taking in nightschool have come in handy..

thanks everyone for your help it was much appreciated, I couldnt have fixed this problem on my own without u guys/gals. :hail2: