Sn95 5.0 Engine Rebuild

Ease up a little Brian, you're jumping on some very knowledgeable people that are good to have as friends.

Your wanting stock is fine, it's your car. To whom will you go to get information from when you want your stock mustang to run better.

Your car will have problems that will drive you crazy, most of the guys here have been through it before you though. They know what it takes to help you get through most issues you can run in to.

Relax, be one of the guys here. No since getting worked up.

its nothing like that - i always come off as ruff but im not was just stating what my thinking is ....

after watching a 5.0 tare down on youtube i did ask to upgrade my solid lifter/pushrods to roller ones but found out 5.0 GT's already have rollers in them - truth is im a crown vic man love them but had to find a car and found this 90K 94 GT convert and fell for it i drive about 100 miles a month dont need anything fast just want it run and to stop pissing oil everywhere as for the shop isnt good maybe its not i have never gone there before but being they are a mustang restoration place i feel better then taken it to a jonny no name .. learned that the last car i had .. a kia took it in had the trans rebuilt and 2 months later they were gone .. this guy has been around for 30+ years

Reactions: 1 user
  • Sponsors (?)

but thinking about it i will ask the guy at the mustang place about upgrading parts

being i know really nothing about engines

what would i ask about parts wise??

FYI its already costing me about 5K to do this so money is short on this

but thinking about it i will ask the guy at the mustang place about upgrading parts

being i know really nothing about engines

what would i ask about parts wise??

FYI its already costing me about 5K to do this so money is short on this
For the kind of money you're spending there, I would think everything would be new except maybe the block.

Even then though, it should probably be over bored .030. I can't imagine the cylinders have much cross hatching left.

There are so many things, I would assume you'll have new main, rod and cam bearings. You already said a new crank and camshafts. The lifter bores might need some attention as well.

A stock engine really doesn't cost all that much. The components are fairly cheap to replace with new equal tolerance parts. Money starts flying away when you worry about forged parts, good aftermarket heads, etc....

Get new shocks for your car, you'll be amazed what that will do for how it drives.

A new set of springs are beneficial as well, plus it will lower the car for a tougher look.

I'm trying to suggest parts that you can benefit from plus be able to swap back to stock original. No modification modifications, if that makes sense to you.

New bushings all around will help you a bunch too, your car will handle so much better from this upgrade.

Get new shocks for your car, you'll be amazed what that will do for how it drives.

A new set of springs are beneficial as well, plus it will lower the car for a tougher look.

I'm trying to suggest parts that you can benefit from plus be able to swap back to stock original. No modification modifications, if that makes sense to you.

New bushings all around will help you a bunch too, your car will handle so much better from this upgrade.

i will be doing all i think its 6 shocks as so as i have the money for them i know its at least 4 of them on the rear

can you take a stock head and turn it into a GT40 head with different parts?? or is it a whole unit

its nothing like that - i always come off as ruff but im not was just stating what my thinking is ....

after watching a 5.0 tare down on youtube i did ask to upgrade my solid lifter/pushrods to roller ones but found out 5.0 GT's already have rollers in them - truth is im a crown vic man love them but had to find a car and found this 90K 94 GT convert and fell for it i drive about 100 miles a month dont need anything fast just want it run and to stop ****ing oil everywhere as for the shop isnt good maybe its not i have never gone there before but being they are a mustang restoration place i feel better then taken it to a jonny no name .. learned that the last car i had .. a kia took it in had the trans rebuilt and 2 months later they were gone .. this guy has been around for 30+ years
Solid lifters???? Mustangs haven't had those since 85.

i will be doing all i think its 6 shocks as so as i have the money for them i know its at least 4 of them on the rear

can you take a stock head and turn it into a GT40 head with different parts?? or is it a whole unit
6 if you count the quad shocks which typically don't wear out. Replace the front struts and rear shocks. You will be pleased.
Gt40 heads are iron heads. Completely different castings and valves. E7s will never be a gt40. You can work an e7 to outflow a gt40 but the cost involved is staggering compared to just buying a new set of heads.

Reactions: 1 user
Solid lifters???? Mustangs haven't had those since 85.

lol i didnt know that people said to watch 5.0 rebuild vids but i didnt find any for a mustang .. i thought a 5.0 was a 5.0

im hopping he does a new timing chain also but im nor sure

more pics i didnt post
IMG_20160718_124945430_HDR.jpg

6 if you count the quad shocks which typically don't wear out. Replace the front struts and rear shocks. You will be pleased.
Gt40 heads are iron heads. Completely different castings and valves. E7s will never be a gt40. You can work an e7 to outflow a gt40 but the cost involved is staggering compared to just buying a new set of heads.

well when i was getting new tires i look under and the ones that are going from wheel to center of car are starting to leak so i know those have to be done soon

The point is, the stuff in that pile of litter is going to have, litter, dirt crud, oil, steering fluid combo all on and in it. That's your Alternator, AC lines, starter, power steering lines and pump to name a few parts in that mess that are very sensitive to FM (foreign material) so you post in the future about issues with these system youll know why, not saying he wont clean them up and remove the crude but..... best to ask him to :)

5k? I guess everything will be new then.... if not youre not getting a decent deal at all

The horizontalish shocks on the rear are quad shocks to stop wheel hop, you should replace if leaking and staying factory rear end etc

.01 bore of the cylinder to clean them up and get ready for new rings, etc