SN95 Suspension

demon40

Jul 24, 2004
canton, nc
Ive been researching suspension for the sn95 and ive gotta few questions. Has any one heard of evolution motor sports and their 3 link/watts link rear set up and wether it any good. I know that the sn95 has a bad design with the rear suspension and i know that a three link with either a pan hard bar or a watts link is better but i dont know how the quality of their product is. Ive also looked at doing an 03 cobra IRS conversion, or the steeda 5 link rear, but i cant decide. They all have trade offs but im looking for the best setup that will handle like its on rails and still hold up to about 500 HP. I know that the 5 link uses a pan hard bar which make the rear move in an arch, the cobra rear ends are prone to breaking the axles and the housing. The three link with a watts link is looking to be the best option cause the watts link only lets the rear end move vertical, and the third link controls wheel hop with out creating a bind in curves, with out the quad shocks. But i thought i would get an opinion from the experts (you guys).

• Sponsors (?)

hands down i would say the steeda 5 link i have been in a car with it wow insane feels like the car is on rails this place called real speed performance in LI New York
Dan Carlson used to work for steeda and designed th 5 link now he owns a mustang performance shop and has a fox body making about 500 hp with the steeda 5 link and ran 10s and the track with it i think its the best system right now

http://www.realspeedautomotive.com/

hands down i would say the steeda 5 link i have been in a car with it wow insane feels like the car is on rails this place called real speed performance in LI New York
Dan Carlson used to work for steeda and designed th 5 link now he owns a mustang performance shop and has a fox body making about 500 hp with the steeda 5 link and ran 10s and the track with it i think its the best system right now

http://www.realspeedautomotive.com/
yep, I heard the Steeda 5 link is really good...

With the Watts-link I would get the EvM piece over the Griggs because the EvM piece is cheaper and the Watts crank is mounted to the subframe, rather than the axle like the Griggs piece. I have heard nothing but good things about all of EvM's products. They have video of a Foxbody on their site with the TriLink at the track on DRs and the car has about 450rwhp if I remember correctly and it held up fine. The owner has posted on the Corral about it too and had some really good things to say about it. I would also choose the TriLink over a Torque arm for a few reasons.

The 03-04 Cobra IRS isn't too bad either. You will gain about 125lbs or so over a solid axle and it is 3/4" wider per side than the solid on the 94-98 cars (1 1/2" overall wider) so keep that in mind with your wheel selection. You also have to do some modification to mount the rear of the cradle in the 94-98 cars as they don't have the provisions in the frame from the factory like the 99-04 cars. The diff cover busting is an easy fix; BilletFlow IRS brace. The axles are really pretty good. Plenty of 03-04 owners have beat on their car regularly on slicks at a track with 500rwhp and up. I took my old '04 to the track almost every weekend for a long time with DRs and completely stock IRS and never had any problems and the car was making around 450rwhp. The main thing that kills the axles in those rear ends is wheel hop. Not many have broken from just power. My IRS hopped a little bit sometimes with the stock Good Years, but with DRs it never hopped again.

I haven't heard much about the Steeda setup so I can't comment on it. For me it's between the Cobra IRS and TriLink/Watts link. The Cobra IRS is dreamy on the street compared to the solid axle cars I've been in and can be REALLY good in the curves too if setup properly, which are the reasons I'm considering it.

That's just my 2 cents.

I checked out corner carvers the other day and theres actually a post from EvM dating back to when they were still designing the Tri-Link/Watts setup. Everybody on the forume was impressed with the final product. Im not bad mouthing steeda I love their stuff but the three link just seems more logical to actually solve the natural down falls of the mustang rear suspension. I think ive decided to stick with steeda up front and the Tri/Watts in the rear, with a set of MM coilover conversions. Now i just have to wait for my bonus check and tax's to come back to fund the build. Hopefully it will all work together. Ive also been looking at griggs racing and Agent 47 SLA set up for the front end of my car but i thing they are a little too pricy for what they are, but i dont know anything about the front set up other than what steeda makes for it works very well.