Snow Driving Question

23 Stang

Nov 5, 2003
Chicago, IL
Ok lots of threads regarding snow and tires recently, but most involve what to get. I don't have the money right now to get a set of old rims with blizzaks so that's not the case for me.

I wanna know about how many pounds of weight I should put in the trunk?

And "like" how do I control my car if it goes and spins on turns or anything. This is my 1st RWD car so I have no idea what it feels like and I'd like to be prepared as best as possbile. If someone can draw out a scenario and explain it, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys, and to all you lucky Florida or Cali Stangeres, damn YOU! LUCKY!

• Sponsors (?)

First and most important, take it slow! Leave for everything 30 minutes earlier if it's bad out and take your time getting there. All the other bozos out there may be blowing by you at 50+mph but you'll get there safe. If it's an auto, it may have a second gear start button which will really help. I'd put several sandbags in the trunk or maybe cinderblocks on a tarp to keep from making too much of a mess. My pickup is horrible in the rain, I can only imagine what it'll be like when it freezes over down here. Stay safe :flag:

the way I learned how to control a RWD is on a carting..

for example if you take a right turn and you back slips you want to turn the front tires on the other way (left) its really easy I dunno how to explain it just go to a carting place and have a few runs... then I think you will be able to learn if faster...
good luck

:nice:

I live in Canada, so unfortunatly I have been driving in the snow/ice forever. Listen to Mu$tang, he's got it right.One thought though, use about 4 bags of softener salt {50lbs each} or bags of salt for doing icy sidewalks,in the trunk If you use bags of sand when it gets really cold the moisture in the sand will turn it really hard.If you hit something or someone runs into you, what you have in the trunk will keep going right through the back seat and try to hurt ya.Also the salt/sand mix they use on the streets is really nasty to the body of your car,[rust] so we sports car guys here all have winter beaters.
Good Luck!! :nice:

-DON'T- give the car gas on the turns, it'll just make it easier to fish tail. Just coast through turns, slowly.

If you start to slide on a turn, turn WITH the slide (Like Mus$tang said, if turning left and your rear end slides, turn left INTO the slide). It's best if you can go to a parking lot and just practice some. It's fun too :)

Yeah sorry I forgot to mention, it's a 5 Speed FallenPhoenix. Should I start from second at times and ride in the highest gear possbile? Thanks a lot guys, much appreciated, when snow falls I'm going to go to an empty parking lot and have some fun sliding...

Dan_Soprano said:
and another note, if possible, find a large, WIDE OPEN parking lot and let 'er RIP!!!!!! Dounuts in the snow RULE in a stang!!

Seriously, this is a good idea. If you get the opportunity in the snow take the car someplace wide-open nearby and get a feel for what she wants to do. You'll learn what it feels like when she comes loose, how to apply the brakes, get started, take turns, etc.

Most vehicles can be driven in the snow - it's just a matter of driving within the ability of car. Dude, be careful, build up your confidence, stay safe and don't worry about the other bozo's out on the road are doing.

Yeah that's what my older brother told me when he bought me the car...

"you'll be the fastest guy on the road in the summer owning all the ricers, but you'll be the slowest in the winter..."

I was cracking up...

Dan_Soprano said:
and another note, if possible, find a large, WIDE OPEN parking lot and let 'er RIP!!!!!! Dounuts in the snow RULE in a stang!!

That is the 2nd thing you should do, first thing beeing 4 snow or ice tires. IMO, everything is worthless if you dont have winter tires. I used mine 1 winter with snow tires and there are not that slow in the snow, espacially with traction control on. Almost impossible to lose it in curve if CT is on.

If you want the best advice don't drive when its icey outside. RWD cars do not like ice at all. I've never owned anything but a RWD car and last year I almost lost my RX7 into a bridge because it hit some ice while I was coming around a turn and I had no time to react. Also when you do hit ice there is NO control. You have no say on what will happen. When you hit the ice whatever direction you and the level of the land are going is where you will be. Driving RWD car in snow/ice situations is asking for trouble.

speed545 said:
That is the 2nd thing you should do, first thing beeing 4 snow or ice tires. IMO, everything is worthless if you dont have winter tires. I used mine 1 winter with snow tires and there are not that slow in the snow, espacially with traction control on. Almost impossible to lose it in curve if CT is on.

Traction control will not help you on ice or snow as much as it does in the rain. you can still slide on snow or ice. All of these points put up by everyone are excellent points. I would def suggest going to a parking lot. The only other thing i can think of that these guys didnt say is make sure u dont slam on the brakes when you start to kick out that will just make things worse. you need to learn how to apply the brakes in these situations.

23 Stang,

I am a Chicago guy and I drove my strang everyday of our last winter. If you follow all the directiond these guys are giving you'll be in great shape :nice: . Adding on to what was already said : My advice is give yourself plenty of room from the car in front of you. This way if something goes wrong you might get away with a lil slip n slide and won't crash into the car in front of you. The worst time you'll have is getting your car outof a parallel parking spot on a Chicago street. The reason is a lot of the Chicago streets are raised in center and low on the sides where we park. This makes it a real pain to get the car out of the spot. Oh yeah and drive SLOW! I raed this here on thread last year where someone said, drive it like there is a raw egg under your accelerator.

speed545 said:

I agree that snow and ice tires will definitely help, performance tires will definitely hurt, but you can drive on snow and ice with all seasons, you just have to stay within the ability of the vehicle and the tires.

There is a whole fleet of rental cars at the airport in Anchorage with all season tires - granted most are FWD, which helps, but it can be done. I did it personally on ice in AK in November - on Goodyear A/S radials.

Just have to be careful and practice.

Just my opinion.

I too have a 5 speed and I live in the mountains of TN. Start off in the highest gear possible, depending on the road. Get into the highest gear you can, as soon as you can. Give yourself a lot of room between you and the car ahead. Do NOT make any abrupt moves. Plan all lane changes and turns as far ahead as possible. Stopping begins with letting the car slow itself down using the brakes a bit, let off, use them a bit... Downshifting will cause a taildance very quickly. A normal lane change may take you 200 ft to safely make. If you begin to slide, let off the brakes, countersteer and get control of the car, and don't reattempt the move you were attempting to make unless you can are in position to do so. Go around the block or whatever and learn from what just happened to you. My best advice to you is to be patient, plan ALL moves with the car far in advance and don't give any throttle in a turn or corner, drift through it. Oh and buy a beater ASAP. Icy roads are a no win situation, stay off them. Being stationed in Germany previously and familiar with black ice, even the Germans stay off icy roads. BMWs, Benzs and Porsches are RWD (with minor exceptions) and they handle the snow.

23 Stang said:
Yeah sorry I forgot to mention, it's a 5 Speed FallenPhoenix. Should I start from second at times and ride in the highest gear possbile? Thanks a lot guys, much appreciated, when snow falls I'm going to go to an empty parking lot and have some fun sliding...

I wouldn't know on a 'stang, my truck can barely get moving in first gear much less in second (120hp stock woohoo!). Just don't burn up your clutch trying to start in second.

I drive my Mustang in and around the suburbs of Chicago, so I'm used to the snow. Before the Mustang, I drove an '84 Chevy Caprice which had a peculiar tendency to do a 180 in the RAIN if I slammed on the brakes. That was rather disconcerting while traveling down Devon at night...

Anyway, my point is that I've found braking and steering to be the riskiest and most frightening experiences in the snow. Acceleration is not as important, unless you are stuck and trying to get out. But we're talking about driving techniques, not vehicular extraction techniques.

Like everyone else said, drive slowly, practice driving/skidding/fishtailing in an EMPTY parking lot (the emptiness of the lot is important! Don't choose a lot with concrete parking curbs, either :nonono: ), brake early and as lightly as you can get away with, maintain a longer distance between yourself and the car in front of you (who cares if someone is honking behind you--let them pass you and crash into someone else's trunk), avoid sharp turns unless you are moving slowly. If you are beginning to skid sideways, keep your feet off both the gas and the brake, and steer in the direction that you would like to continue going. For example, if your car's back end starts sliding to the passenger side, steer right. If it starts sliding to the driver's side, steer left. Also, start off in second gear if you need to--it's OK to do that from time to time.

Does this make sense? I know we don't have any measurable snow in the forecast yet, so enjoy the dry spell while we have it.