So, how does the Charger compare...

herooftheday97

Mar 30, 2005
I know that most people will say it's four doors and it looks ugly, but if it's a faster ride, then it's still good in my book. Has anyone test drove it and how does the high output v6 compare to the v6 mustang and GT. 250 horsepower is a nice median between the v6 and GT.

• Sponsors (?)

Here we go again.......

If its just speed you want go buy a faster car or build one.

Charger = Big power & big car
Mustang = not so big power & not so big car

Look at power to weight not engine HP. An 18 wheeler can have 600bhp but due to its weight will get whomped by a 190bhp Lotus.

I ran an 05 Charger last week. Three runs and all three I pulled him by 5 when we finally shut down. A neighbor wanted to see what it could do. There is an old airfield around here with a 1 mile stretch to run on.

It was over when it started. I pulled a half length in first, 2 by the end of second and 5 after third.

He was really disappointed. He was really surprised that the 05 Mustang could keep up let alone beat him down like that.

I ran a Chrysler 300 Hemi last night with my Z28 at the track. I beat him by 2 seconds in the 1/4. The Charger is basically the same car, so I wouldn't think the Charger will be any real competition, at least not until the 425HP version comes out.

herooftheday97 said:
I know that most people will say it's four doors and it looks ugly, but if it's a faster ride, then it's still good in my book. Has anyone test drove it and how does the high output v6 compare to the v6 mustang and GT. 250 horsepower is a nice median between the v6 and GT.

It's not fasster. Atleast not until 425hp & SRT8

Thats not a Charger!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a pile of gay junk.

Chryslerr is going to far with the whole truck grille thing.

Your Mustang is much nicer. ANY car can be as fast as you want it to be, all it take is $$$

mhudson78660 said:
The SRT 8 looks like it is going to be a monster.

It'd better be... for the same base price as a Shelby GT500.

Motor Trend tested the 2006 Charger R/T in the latest issue. Low 14s ET, 0.77g on the skidpad. A great car to compete with the 1996 Mustang GT. :rlaugh:

The tested price for the Charger R/T was $33K. All the GTO owners must be snickering every time one of them drives by.

The chargers would have been bad ass if they weren't massive 4-door sedans. It's really to bad. Mopar really laid down a bunt with the charger IMO.

It looks like someone took a 300c and painted mean pointed eyebrows on it and called it a day.

Scott_95GT said:
The chargers would have been bad ass if they weren't massive 4-door sedans. It's really to bad. Mopar really laid down a bunt with the charger IMO.

It looks like someone took a 300c and painted mean pointed eyebrows on it and called it a day.

Man, I agree. The Charger was a huge let down to me. :(

At least the GTO (the newer one) is fast. I think it still looks pretty bad though. The Mustang has them all beaten completely in the looks department.

Some magazine I was reading, I can't remember... it could've been Car & Driver, I'm not sure... had a GTO to '05 Mustang comparison. The Mustang won. :D Maybe someone else who saw that can correct me if I'm wrong.

Scott_95GT said:
Yeah the mustang beat the gto by a point. Not bad for a car that costs a couple thousand less, and has 100 less hp stock.

The "Gotta have it" points! :shrug:

I'm not down with made up catagories. Raw data is the way to compare and compete! In my opinion they are both nice cars. If I had the cash I would have one of each.

The Charger is a let down. It should have been a 2 door with the 6.1 Hemi. That would have been a monster . . .

Doc GTO said:
The "Gotta have it" points! :shrug

Doc, arn't they great! :rlaugh: Cheese Whiz and crackers! If it were not for those "Gotta have it" points - the GTO WOULD :D have won :lol:

One of these days - your gonna send me a pm arn't ya :)

P.S. By the way -- what's the update on your racing? You put on the new brakes etc. and were going out to hit the curves and valleys- how did ya do?

The concept of the charger from a few years back was nice, if they had built that more people would be interested in it (even though it was still 4 doors)

Its funny too because I read on some other forums how big of a hit the new charger would be and how it smash the mustang performance wise
Guess neither of those assumptions were true huh :rlaugh:

Just got my August Car and Driver. They tested a Charger and it was a bit faster than any of the 300's they had tested. 0-60 in 5.6 and the 1/4 in 14.2 at 101 mph. Good brakes, decent price, awfully cheap interior pieces and just bad styling. Bottom line? If your spouse says a Mustang in not practical and you still want a fast car the Charger might do OK.

Personally I think the new Charger doesn't look bad, espcially in R/T or SRT trim.

It looks REAL BAD ASS. Certainly not pretty, but then could any muscle car really be accused of that.

Had the Charger been launched with a new name instead I doubt it would be receiving this unwelcome attitude, but then I guess that sort of person wouldn't have bought one regardless. It is certainly causing quite a stir and there are plenty of threads of how does it compare to....... So some people must be taking it serious.

If I was in the market for a fast 4 door family car it WOULD be on my list.

2006-Dodge-Charger-RT-SRT8-pic-31-9557103.JPG

charger-(1)_wa.jpg

The only pasrt of it that is alet down to me is the four doors. I wish they would have kept it to two. Im not a big fan of the styling either but I dont think it looks horrible and call it a disapointment just baised on that. The srt will be better but it wilol be a gas guzzler as well.