so i'm making a small pick up tomorrow....

inphiniti

Mar 15, 2003
Providence, RI
im getting a set of used Mac Long Tube Headers ( 1 3/4" tubes into a 2.5" collector) and a 2.5" h pipe. grabbing them for $200 locally. is this a good deal? they have some surface rust, one worse than the other. but he assures me they are not rusted completely through. check the pics below.

how do i clean off the surface rust? a friend of mine mentioned a product called Naval Jelly will eat right through the rust.. does sanding help as well? also how painting them with a high temp black work out?

View attachment 272530

if this is more tech than talk, please move :nice:

• Sponsors (?)

The paint won't work. Been there done that with my Ram headers. I haven't tried the VHT stuff yet but another member on Dodgeforum.com says it don't work either. I am thinking about finding out how much it will cost to have them JetHot coated.

Jimmy, I tried using exhaust paint on a pair of manifolds in the past and it burned right off.

But trying that VHT flameproof stuff can't hurt... Just follow the curing schedule... Not sure how to best do that though on headers...

thanks guys... i knew eventually the pipes would burn it off regardless, i just wanted to clean them up for the time being. my main concern here is the getting rid of the rust.. any other suggestions? am i able to sand rust?

chris, thank u illl look into that stuff!

thanks guys... i knew eventually the pipes would burn it off regardless, i just wanted to clean them up for the time being. my main concern here is the getting rid of the rust.. any other suggestions? am i able to sand rust?

chris, thank u illl look into that stuff!

The best way to clean them up is to sand or bead blast them, then use whatever paint you want. I sand blasted my E/L shorties and then sprayed them with black BBQ grill paint. It took about 2 weeks for it to turn most of the paint a dull gray color, and after about a year and a half of very sporadic driving, there's some more surface rust appearing on the tubes. One thing to keep in mind, rust is a chemical reaction and paint isn't going to protect it in general. :mad:

Scott

VHT works fine... just spray it on heavy and allow it to drywell....

First: you need to wire wheel clean all that you can.
Second: dremmel out to get rid of any burs in the weld
Third:Clean well with Acetone or paint thinner.
Fourth: spray well several coats
Fifth: Allow to dry.

touch up as needed.

DSC00347.jpg

DSC00348.jpg

DSCF1192.jpg

DSCF1193.jpg

DSCF1195.jpg

DSCF1196.jpg

DSCF1197.jpg

DSCF1208.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00347.jpg
    DSC00347.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC00348.jpg
    DSC00348.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCF1192.jpg
    DSCF1192.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCF1193.jpg
    DSCF1193.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 65
  • DSCF1195.jpg
    DSCF1195.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCF1196.jpg
    DSCF1196.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 69
  • DSCF1197.jpg
    DSCF1197.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCF1208.jpg
    DSCF1208.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 71
that was the site Jimmy. they have a location finder for guys that do the coating.

for $10 a can that doesn't sound too bad but i'd still call up a shop in your area to see what the jethot would cost. just to be able to make an informed decision

they gave me a pretty decent price, if i were to do it in a sterling silver finish im looking at $285 for the headers and $20/foot for the H pipe. i think a flat black is like $60 more. they wont be going on the car anytime soon, so im just going to clean the rust off myself, and get them ready to send out to them within the next few months, as long as the pocket can swing it. i these will be pretty nice with my HCI swap, what do ya think?

i ended up calling a sandblaster today, he told me $50/hr which i thought was pretty reasonable. so im probably going to go that route... im more than likely not going to coat theme, ill probably prep and paint them.. theyll be under the car anyways...

lol and chris i said the same thing after i sat and added everything together.. the LTs alone from mac are almost 300.. not counting the mid pipe... so its like either way if i had them jet-coated, id be in the same range. plus adams pics above and saying how it lasted well made me think otherwise

adam, did you prime those?

wow i didn't think it would cost that much...my vote is to paint them yourself

LOL. i mean hey, dont get me wrong it seems like a sweet deal. ill def remember the site down the line say if i go with a bigger motor w/ some form of a power adder.. but on somethin like this with just a HCI swap coming to it this spring/summer, its not worth spending more on the coating then the actual pieces :rlaugh: