So who else besides me hates the new ad software?

dodgestang

Dec 15, 2003
Cecil County, MD
I hate it....I can't stand it...the new software that ads a link into the body of a posted message depending on the key word...you know...like: mustang pickup pontiac etc.....

I hate it sooooo much that I am tempted to stop coming here.

Anyone else feel like I do or do you all think I am just over reacting?

• Sponsors (?)

What flavor of Linux?
I used to use Mandrake, and PCLinux OS, but while they are fun to play around with and impress people with, I still fall back on Windows after a week.
--
And as for the Stangnet Links/Adds, just don't mouse over them and they don't affect you. They don't change the quality (or lack there of in a few cases) of the message board. I can deal.

skywalker said:
bro, that's not this site...that's spyware!

Tip: use mozilla.

I am absolved from all spyware issues: i use linux and mozilla. :)

I do use mozilla.

This is a new feature (it has to be) because it appears:

1. on the Work Computer using win2k and IE
2. in a school setting (in the lab) using winxp and IE
3. on my home computer using win2k advanced server and Mozilla.

I can verify both the #1 and #3 are spyware free through weekly checks, and I can only assume the #2 is.

These ads have roll over pop ups that say "sponsored link".....its not on my end...it might have something to do with the recent DOS attacks on Stangnet, perhaps my cookie has somehow been corrupted (as far fetched as it sounds)

Banditlead said:
What flavor of Linux?
I used to use Mandrake, and PCLinux OS, but while they are fun to play around with and impress people with, I still fall back on Windows after a week.
--
And as for the Stangnet Links/Adds, just don't mouse over them and they don't affect you. They don't change the quality (or lack there of in a few cases) of the message board. I can deal.

The problem for me, is my eye has been trained to be 'interested' in links in message body. It is either a link to a supporting image or an off-site resource....subconsciencely I read the text around the text first to see if I am interested in the link.....so with all these damn links now appearing in the body of the text, I am having trouble descering which is an intential link to an offsite resource of photo and which is mind numbing advertising.

Sure they are color coded green instead of the blue, but in slightly off cneter out of focus area of sight used to skim and locate areas of interest based on differentiation in text/color/presentation your mind can't eliminate the links until after you have focused your attention on them.

It is utterly and completely annoying and unnesecary. I have stopped using certain information delivery sites that have opted to start using this next interation of internat advertising, and we should make it a point to let the Stangnet admins know if we do not want to see it on this site.

I also use Mozilla and never had problems with the ad links, plus it has more goodies (such as pop up blocker and tabbed browsing) and is also more secure than Internet Explorer.

Go to http://www.lavasoft.de/ and download the free version of AdAware and run a scan on your computer. Make sure that you click on the link in the program to update it first.

bull999999 said:
I also use Mozilla and never had problems with the ad links, plus it has more goodies (such as pop up blocker and tabbed browsing) and is also more secure than Internet Explorer.

Go to http://www.lavasoft.de/ and download the free version of AdAware and run a scan on your computer. Make sure that you click on the link in the program to update it first.

I do not have a popup problem. I refuse to beleive that I have ad-ware running in these three distinct environments. AM I THE ONLY one who sees the green text with underlinings for EVERY WORD that is typed that refers to an automobile brand name?

The roll overs are themed in the same font, style, color etc as this site.
They ONLY appear on this site, not on any of the other half dozen auto forums I use.
They are linked through a well known above board ad company and use overture.

Maybe this will help describe what I am seeing

screenshot.jpg

Attachments

• screenshot.jpg
    screenshot.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 77
How would you know if you have no ad wares on your computer if you don't scan for them? Even clicking on certain links can put one on your computer.

I just fired up IE on my computer and surfed the StangNet forums with it an I don't get the links shown above, because I regularly scan for and remove ad wares. However, I do get the same style links if I use IE at the school computer lab.

bull999999 said:
How would you know if you have no ad wares on your computer if you don't scan for them? Even clicking on certain links can put one on your computer.

I just fired up IE on my computer and surfed the StangNet forums with it an I don't get the links shown above, because I regularly scan for and remove ad wares. However, I do get the same style links if I use IE at the school computer lab.

Perhaps you missed this little line in my previous response:

"I can verify both the #1 and #3 are spyware free through weekly checks, and I can only assume the #2 is."

I run checks WEEKLY on my home and work systems using all the popular choice (ad aware and spybot amoung them). I just finished a check on this computer this morning, and these little underlined items still appear.

I am now irritated.

dodgestang said:
I do use mozilla.

This is a new feature (it has to be) because it appears:

1. on the Work Computer using win2k and IE
2. in a school setting (in the lab) using winxp and IE
3. on my home computer using win2k advanced server and Mozilla.

I can verify both the #1 and #3 are spyware free through weekly checks, and I can only assume the #2 is.

These ads have roll over pop ups that say "sponsored link".....its not on my end...it might have something to do with the recent DOS attacks on Stangnet, perhaps my cookie has somehow been corrupted (as far fetched as it sounds)

Doesn't happen to me in XP or Linux. Used to happen to me in XP until I ran multiple anti-spyware programs. ad-aware and spybot. At this point I only use XP for some school stuff and games. I use gentoo linux for anything else.

Well the good news is, the latest definitions took care of the problem here at work.

Now to go home and have a word with the Mrs.........and make sure I am running the latest definitions there too.

MF spoke too soon. :( darn it darn it darn it

*sigh*

Stangnet specific
No ad or spy ware picked up through the various software readily available to check

Once again I am left to conclude that the problem is not on my end....what am I missing....I am actually relatively competant.

skywalker said:
dodgestang: i used to work as a computer technician, trust me, you're dealing with well known spyware. I'd search for info on it for you but i'm currently covered in grease and grime and need a shower.

stang976: www.mozilla.org, but you need to get rid of the spyware first.

good thing you arent anymore :nice: the green underlining links are part of the vBulletin software being used to run these forums. I run updated adaware and updated spybot search and destroy once daily. I also have norton firewall and norton antivirus. The green links ONLY appear on stangnet and on all my computers. It is a stangnet end problem. Try searching your control panel options dodgestang, and see if you can turn it off there. I run a smf based VW forum and sometimes the software, since its free or very cheap, can contain advertising stuff. (I use simplemachine.org software which is the new YaBB software)

65fastback2+2 said:
good thing you arent anymore :nice: the green underlining links are part of the vBulletin software being used to run these forums. I run updated adaware and updated spybot search and destroy once daily. I also have norton firewall and norton antivirus. The green links ONLY appear on stangnet and on all my computers. It is a stangnet end problem. Try searching your control panel options dodgestang, and see if you can turn it off there. I run a smf based VW forum and sometimes the software, since its free or very cheap, can contain advertising stuff. (I use simplemachine.org software which is the new YaBB software)

Interesting... I read an article about a month ago about this being a new form of spyware and I managed to get it off of my systems by running anti-spyware software. In my case it was showing up in everything. If I did a search on yahoo or google or was reading cnn.com it would show up. So maybe there is 2 issues with the same symptoms? Either or, since abandoning IE none of my machines (7 of them) have experienced this form of "advertising." Which btw, annoyed the piss out of me too.

I use Mozilla Firefox and I've never seen the green links you're talking about on this site.
I also don't get any pop-ups or any of that junk... much better than browsing with IE....especially lately after all the security holes that keep coming up with IE.

Dodgestang, I know what your saying. But this site hosts everything for us, gives us space to put pictures, and the Bulletin Board which is pretty big in and of itself. Not to mention the Main Site, and all that it hosts. It seems to me a small price to pay, to get access to everything this place holds.
Yea its annoying, and when you accidently mouse over, its like my computer is taking a hit from a B-52. (Wonder if it kills anyone elses computer for a second?)

Maybe they should implement a system, that if you don't like the popup adds, you can pay a certain amount and you won't have to deal with them. Unless you do that, they have to make the site make a profit somehow.