SOHC vs. DOHC

• Sponsors (?)

oogtdude said:
the gt has better tq..but runs out of steam fast.....the mach just pulls and pulls..i love the 99+gt's i miss mine :( but its no mach..i would shy away from ls1's not anymore

I agree totally. I drove a 03 Mach 1 a while back. I own a SOHC 4.6L GT (as you can see in my sig). I'd say they feel about the same on the bottom. The mach probably gets off the line a little quicker with 3.55's. But once you hit 4500 and up it pulls and pulls and pulls...all the way to redline. Its really a good feeling :).

kirkyg

kirkyg said:
I agree totally. I drove a 03 Mach 1 a while back. I own a SOHC 4.6L GT (as you can see in my sig). I'd say they feel about the same on the bottom. The mach probably gets off the line a little quicker with 3.55's. But once you hit 4500 and up it pulls and pulls and pulls...all the way to redline. Its really a good feeling :).

kirkyg

There is no place in the RPM range that my GT makes more HP or TQ than my Mach period. You can see from my sig. I don't know if you drove the auto Mach but the 5 speed is awesome and after 2k miles it really wakes up to the next level. :spot:

ttown said:
There is no place in the RPM range that my GT makes more HP or TQ than my Mach period. You can see from my sig. I don't know if you drove the auto Mach but the 5 speed is awesome and after 2k miles it really wakes up to the next level. :spot:

Yep...thats what i was saying. I dont think there is any torque drop off just because the heads breath more. Atleast it feels like a torque monster + plenty of topend. I loved driving the mach 1.

kirkyg

How does the SOHC make more tq then the Mach 1 DOHC, I thought the new cams in the DOHC motor made up for that? At least that's what my tires tell me, since they come loose pretty easily seems moreso then they did even in my GT with 4.10s. I have no idea though, just a thought.

oogtdude said:
the gt has better tq..but runs out of steam fast.....the mach just pulls and pulls..i love the 99+gt's i miss mine :( but its no mach..i would shy away from ls1's not anymore

I also agree with that, my Mach Makes its power all the way from 3,500 - 6,400. The top end on the Mach Is where I think the Mach becomes a totally diffrent car as compared with the GT.

pjdellenger80 said:
It does not take much for a gt to run with a mach 1 - headers,intake, h or x pipe, pullies. and you will be there

I'll be testing that theory with my friend next week. He has full O/R exhaust, 3.73, 80MM MAF, Densercharger. I'm pretty sure 0-50 he'll keep up but past that I think its gonna be a diffrent story.