Sold my block now I think Im getting screwed...

yeah weather the bearings were bad and you didnt know about it or the guy is just shady and swapped over a messed up crank/bearings... hes stuck with it

either way used parts are always considerd as-is IMO

• Sponsors (?)

Guero, to be honest, that could be the one you sold him. It would still carry great oil pressure. It woudn't knock. In fact, It could go another 100k miles before needing any other attention. Like has been said before, you are not responsible for this. Don't pay him a penny back. Even top engine builders don't give any kind of warranty. You sold me those headers last year, for a song. They were in WAY better shape than you described or I expected for what I paid. Tell him that if he has a problem, take you to court. Any judge would look at him and laugh. Im sure of that.

Also, don't go over to his house. I'd bet he's got a lug wrench waiting there for you. If you do go, take a buddy with a video camera or a sheriff deputy.

The reason I think this whole thing is fishy is that he complains that he has no money but offers to "drive all the way down there" AND buy beer. Where's he gonna get THAT money?! (Sounds like he's trying to lure you to his house to see if he and a coupoe of his buddies can provide you with a good ole (undeserved) ass beating.)

Post my comments there, if you'd like. (I'm not going to join that group, just to tell this guy to pound sand.)

Good luck!

I dont know either one of yall, but my opinion is that he can pull the internals and still consider himself ahead with a $300 good block. He needs to quit whining, and you should just start ignoring him. Like said above, dont go to his house without a couple friends, cause who knows who he will invite over while your there, especially if he gives you a ride and you can no longer leave at your free will. Sorry to hear about the whole situation.

He (93mustank) certainly loves to play the part of the victim, doesn't he? ;)

Every response seems to be "Well, I've done my part, time for him to do his!"

Exactly what "part" is he referring to? Slandering Guero (ThePunisher95)'s reputation and basically calling him a crook? I mean...he claims absolutely NO RESPONSIBILITY in this transaction what so ever?

Years ago, I sold a snowmobile. It was only 1-year old when I bought it (it sold new for $10,500) I had owned it for all of two years and the thing had accumulated a total mileage of about 2,400km when I sold it (for a song BTW). It ran flawless for the whole time I owned it and was a great sled. I sold the thing because I was stuck in a dead end job and decided that going back to school was ultimately important and needed the money for tuition.

Not 3-weeks later after I sold it to the guy did his dad call me (at work) screaming and yelling how I "ripped his son off and sold him a piece of junk!" Apparently, his son had just gone out for one ride on it the day before, put on less than 20km and it blew up on him.....which I found extremely hard to believe considering it's perfect running condition when I sold it. Not only that, but I let him take it out for probably closed to 20-minutes before even selling it to him. Anyway, the father was adamant that I refund his money, or pay for a new engine. Now keep in mind, the engine in this thing was $3,000 to replace and I only sold the sled to him for a grand total of $4,500.

I explained to him that I felt for him, but the machine ran flawlessly the entire time I owned it, including the 20-minutes he test drove and inspected it prior to the sale. The father insisted that I must have known it was on it's "last leg" and was trying to screw him. I asked him how there was any way, shape or form I could have known it was going to blow up and found it extremely coincidental it did during the one 20km ride after the sale?

Anyway, long story short, I stuck to my guns and offered the guy no reprieve. In the end, it was buyer beware and for what I sold it to him for, it shouldn't have even came with an engine in the first place.

A couple of years later, I ran into the son who was now working as a mechanics apprentice at that same dealership that I worked at. He wasn't sore about it (and actually never was) and told me the real story. He had apparently started driving it the minute he got it home (not 3-weeks later like his father claimed) and put well over 800km on it of which he claimed it ran great. He then admitted to me that he was "too cheap" to run premium fuel in the tank (even thought that's what it called for) and he even actually ran it out of oil once on one of his many trips. That's when the engine went to pot. He stated that his dad was furious since he was the one who lent him the money for the thing, so was going to figure out a way to get the money back from the seller (me).

What does it all mean? It just goes to show you used condition, is just that...used! If you want a warrant, buy brand new. If you don't want to pay new prices, then shut up and take your chances.

I believe the engine Guero (ThePunisher95) sold was newly rebuilt. I believe that it did hold its oil pressure and did run well. Scored bearings although an indication of damage, aren't a guarantee of failure...at least not right away. The engine could have very well ran for another 100,000km, or it could have crapped out within the first 500km. That’s the chance you take when buying used parts. Either way, the engine ran when he sold it and the physical damage is not something either of them would have realized unless it was torn apart at the time of inspection.

His mistake shouldn't be your loss. You held up your end by selling him a running engine that was to the best of your knowledge in perfect working order. If he wanted guarantee's from you, he should have stated as much at the time of the sale. If he wanted a warranty, he should have bought a new part.

Bottom line, is that he f***ed up and now expects you to pay for his mistake. He offers no compromise and seems determined to slander your reputation and turn you into the bad guy in this situation as payback? So again I ask.....how has he "done his part" in all this? :scratch:

As is As sold... period...

I sold a 99 sebring convertible before buying my stang... the week after the lady calls me looking for money back because the trans would not shift... said I knew about it... so I pointed out that the car ran fine when i had it, it did have a lot of miles, and that I let her and her friedn take the car out for 4 hours driving around while I worked at my dad's house... then I gave her some advice on what it could be and never heard from her again... but ultimately it is as is as sold... period...

looks like he isn't fooling anyone

if he was serious he wouldn't be spending money on yet another used short block, and time to install it.

he would be spending his money and time getting legal advise, but he isn't.

i'm glad you stuck to your guns guero, in a figuretive way i mean. lol

and a lesson to everyone. if your selling something and the buyer talks about how he was screwed buying the same part before. BEWARE, back out, tell him it isn't for sale anymore. there's a good chance they will later on say the part is back cause they switched it for the part they were screwed on to recoup what they lost. and you get stuck with the it.

Alright man... Seeing this is only a $200 and a cat back kinda problem... just drop it. Just stick to these forums... I just sold my block that i got scammed on along time ago... rember the $1200 302/306/308 i bought... Now that was an issue... I cleaned off a piston it ended up being a 306 the heads needed a rebuild and a bunch of other stuff i went to court and won... got $600 back... So i sold the cam out of the engine for $100 and just sold the block, brand new rings for a 302 pan, timing chain, new bearing caps, oil pump and a bunch of stuff for $200 to some guy who said the following:

Adam...I have some concerns.....The new rings provided won't work..They are standard and the pistons are +30...The crank bearings are standard but the crank is turned -30. How do you want to handle? I can bring the block and everything else back for a refund. Or can you offer me something back on the $200.00 paid...After a closer look....I see why you might not want to use this motor.

I told him about the new rings being the wrong size... but they were not even listed in the add and i said the block was rough and sitting by a fence with some surface rust. and i was told at one point it might of been rebuilt. After cleaning it up for the guy i found it had been.

Its basaically what you are gooing through... i sent him $30 back and things are cool. I know what you mean its not your fault and you didnt know... But sometimes you have to dish out a few dollars to keep your good name... Send him a letter with $50 and just drop it man.

I just sold a lawn mower on Craigslist. I had been using it all Summer to cut my grass, my neighbors grass and my tennants grass. Not a single problem. When the buyer came to pick it up, she didn't even want to hear/see it run and cut grass. I insisted and started it and all that. The next day she called and said it ran for a while and wouldn't re-start. Then she got her boyfriend on the phone and I told him that it was "as-is" and that if there was something I could do to help start it, I would, but that was as far as I'd go. They never called me back.

IF he sends him $50, it would be enough for him to say that Guero IS guilty and tried to "buy him off" with the $50. After seeing that Mr Dontgotnomoney just bought another engine and gave one away (that might have been evidence), makes me REALLY question his desire to rip Guero off. No one gives a good (but admittedly needing repair) engine away for free, unless they don't want anyone else to see it. I think the bearing picture is from the engine that was in his car.

Don't send him a penny. Time will show this guy for who/what he is. Don't go to his place, either. BAD idea.

Also, don't repy to any of his further communication. If, by some chance he gets authorities involved (he won't he's lying) then deal with it that way.

This is what happens when we let Chevy guys drive Fords. I hated it when, in the 80's, all the Camaro guys came over because the Fox was the better car. You didn't know if you were dealing with a "true" Ford guy that would do anything for you or some a-hole that was just driving a Mustang because he was tired of getting beaten in his POS Camaro. I'll bet there are a BUNCH of Chevy's in this guys past. That's not saying that Chevy guys are bad guys. They just aren't Ford guys.

So he only had your block, then his blown block that a nice back guy ask for and he gave it to him for scrap metal (and he's "broke"). Turns around and buys another short block? Complete bs to me man especially him saying he's broke but can afford to give a block away? He gives me the feeling he switched the crank and bearings to your block. Fixes his motor and gets his $$ and cat back back for free. If he picks you up and it doesn't get resolved the way he whats it too. What's stopping him from making you find a ride back home? I have a strong feeling this guy swapped parts to fix his and is now playing the "victim".
You and him should have pulled the pan and inspected everything but the buyer chose not too and accepted it (after he did his inspection). Not your fault or problem what happens after the sell in a used item.

I just looked at his last post on the other forum. 1) Why would you pull the engine all the way down to mains and rods and leave the oil filter and engine mounts on? 2) I don't see an inprint of an intake manifold on the sealer on the "china walls". Looks like it was just dabbed there, yesterday. 3) The threads in the parts that he uses to "prove" that it is the same block (engine mounts) has obviously just been chased by the nuts that hold them on. 4) NOW, he's got three engines again???? WTF??? 5) The "great sex" comment makes me believe that she made him beg for it and that it was "over, before it started".

I was honestly 50/50 in that thread until all the questionable block comments started about random "nice african americans" and bizarre block quantities. Also I agree with the oil filter comment, draining the oil and removing the filter is the first thing you do when tearing down an engine, followed by removing the drain plugs. Doesn't make sense to me there either.

I would no way in hell go down there. You're only asking for trouble. You seem like a good dude on here and I highly doubt you'd knowingly sell that. Seriously, the dude is buying a USED MOTOR THAT HAS KNOWINGLY BEEN DRAG RACED FOR 200 BONES AND SOME FLOWMASTERS OFF AN INTERNET FORUM. All sales are as-is, no doubt.

Adam

Sounds like he should have SOLD the old block for scrap metal.

I sold my stock engine. I told them. It'll need rebuilt. I can't promise anything on the engine at all. It was running when I took it out, it could need new rings, it could need more. They were just going to pick it up and go. I said, "let's pull a head off just for the fun of it." Cylinder walls were smooth as glass. I didn't push them to remove the oil pan, basically because of mess involved. But it was CLEAR before I accepted any money. It was AS IS.

screw that d-bag. just read the whole thing and man is he a whiner! just don't answer or deal with him anymore.

his own damn fault for not looking at it sooner. i believe you. i could rant and rant here but most everybody already sees the issues. and if that dude as has 6 mustangs, sell one to buy an engine!

Everytime I open that thread, this clown just proves himself more and more a douche bag. I love how he continuously states how he's "done everything possible" when he's done nothing at all to resolve this, other than whine about how much of a victim he was. He will accept nothing but a full refund and claims no responsiblity for his poor planning what so ever. And that cocky "my **** don't stink" attitude of his and the "I banged the G/F last night for $100" comment really proves what kind of winner he is.

I say don't give this chisel head a second thought Guero. He's no where near as helpless in this situation as he claims to be. Anyone who claims to be as broke and hard up as he is does, that he couldn’t afford to have the crank turned and oversize bearings put into that 306 of yours (if it in fact was the same one you sold him), isn’t the same person who can afford to own and work on 6-Mustangs (that he claims he has) and buy engines by the bushel on spur of the moment notice from Craigslist. Not to mention…if he was that hard up for cash, why didn’t he take the block(s) in for scrap metal himself to recoup some of his loss?

This guys story has holes all the way through it. You need to cut all contact with this clown and let him go about scamming and whining his way through life the way he has been. Some people just thrive on drama and being the center of attention and this douche canoe seems like one of them. :notnice:

Why don't you post up a link to this thread on that site and see if he's got any answers for us. I'd love to see him back pedal some more? :rlaugh:

Forget him. He bought a couple hundred dollar block. He didn't buy an extended warranty. Being in the business there's all sorts of things people do to a part they buy or things they try to pull over on you once you sell something. He could have easily ordered a brand new engine with a gaurantee, or a used one from a yard with a gaurantee, but instead he bought a $200 one from a net forum. He could have worked it out with you to disassemble it in front of you before hand but that wasn't the case. No shop would go for that either. He may be a completely honest and good guy but this sort of thing happens now and then when you make deals for used parts. Caveat emptor, or buyer beware. If he's indeed telling his side of the truth, which is hard to completely believe judging from how the thread over there's going, you are still an honest guy too and didn't intend to mislead this guy and you knew it ran fine in your car and you did absolutely nothing wrong. And with him wanting you to come back over there, he's not going to budge weather you're there or not so don't even go through the hassle or potential problems that could arise in that situation. Just a well intended deal that didn't pan out as expected, he needs to take it as a loss.

Edit: Those cats I got from you a wile back for a DIRT CHEAP price worked flawlessly...Guero even delivered them to me, he's a completely honest guy.

I remembered you even offered me gas money and I denied :) When I sell parts I think of it like this. I let it go cheap since I already had my fun with it so theres no point of trying to get my money back by selling high let someone else enjoy it.

I would have felt bad about this if I would have sold the motor until he started name calling and telling people not to deal with me. At that point I would have let him take the hit as he started the name calling. Bottom line is he should have checked everything before Guero left.

If I made the mistake of buying the motor without pulling the oil pan I might have asked for 100 back as it was not in the condition it was supposed to be in but if he refused I would not start calling the seller names as it would have been my fault for not checking it before money exchanged hands.

Bottom line is that both of you should learn from this as a seller you make it clear that the parts are sold as is and as a buyer you check everything before you buy!!