Solved One problem, but new BIG PROBLEM!!

is it possible that you installed the tps wrong and it is not catching on the butterfly, of the tb and therefore raising the voltage. Which is gonna keep the voltage from climbing and therefore accelerating the car

jason

• Sponsors (?)

That is a possibility. Thanks for the suggestion. I removed all the sensors from the throttle body (and everything else) when I painted everything. What would be a good way to check this?

Rio - After I had the disaster after adjusting the rockers on Tuesday I have not had time to do anything else. My spring break is next week so I am in the middle of midterms right now. I will attempt to do all this stuff this weekend or the first part of next week. I also need to dig up a voltmeter from somewhere.

Voltmeters are cheap money......This could very well be your problem...you do have to "position" the TPS groove into the butterfly...if you missed that, easily done if your not aware of it, could wreak havoc on things...

you have to clock the TPS to line it up, then kinda swing back to the screw holes....

I will definetely be investigating this problem, unfortunately I have to readjust all my rockers again, so I will be doing that first.

What do you mean by "clocking the TPS to line it up, then sming back to the screw holes"? I'm having a hard time visualizing this. Could you give me real specific directions on how to do this? Thanks.

Maybe a bad explaination...when i did mine i kinda "clocked it" to feel it...the TPS has a rheostat in it, its spring loaded, buy clocking or rotating it some, i could feel the resistance and knew it was properly positioned on the butterfly...if you just drop it on and put the screw in it, you could be on the other side of the "groove" the butterfly fits in...once on, without the screws in it, you should be able to rotate it and feel the resistance of the TPS....

Just grab the TPS reach inside and rotate the insides, you'll see what i'm talking about...its spring loaded...

If your voltage is wack when you check it...that may be your problem...

easiest way to check it is gonna be pull the return spring on the tb off see how much resistance is on the tb. But the best way is to check the V with a voltmeter, and go through the full range of the TPS and make sure the voltages rises all the way up to around 4.75 or so, just as RIO said.

good luck in finding this. I bought me a beater toyota pickup to drive around today. This mean plenty of mods for my car since it is no longer the daily driver :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :banana: :banana:

I just talked to my dad and he just yanked the valve covers off. One rocker was off both the valve and the pushrod, and another was so loose he could rotate it in his hands. I think this is hopefully the noise.

I'm going to reinstall all the rockers and get the polylocks a little tighter, I may even throw some locktite on just for piece of mind. After that I will reassemble and tackle testing the TPS voltage. Thanks for the sggestions on this one guys. They really sound promising. I just can't wait to have a fast car again...

Anytime you hear such noises, DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR. You may have a bent valve or pushrod now. It only takes a fraction of a second for the pushrod to come out of the "cup" in the rocker and BLAM the piston hits the valve and you'd in a world of crap.

Do you POSITIVELY know how to adjust the rockers? If not I can help you. What procedure are you following exactly? DOn't pre-load them too much or you may encounter PTV issues since you are close.

I have talked to Ed and am confident on how to adjust the rockers. I have read and reread the tech article on his website along with a bunch on stuff from this site. I'm thinking I forgot to tighten down a polylock or two last time, that won't happen again, and I'm going to go just a hair tighter.

Even with that being said, if you have any help to offer, I'll gladly take it. I am also very curious about this TB voltage idea, and the fact that I may have reinstalled the TPS wrong. My plan is this: Readjust rockers and reassemble. Start and run, if nothing is changed then verify that the TP voltage is right and the TPS is functioning properly.

In case you haven't guessed by now, I'm a stubborn SOB and I'm bound and determined to get this done and get everything figured out and get my car running myself. That being said, i;m not going to get in a hurry and rush things.

i feel like if you will just check your voltage on the tps sensor, when its running and go throught the Tb opening and closing and watch the volts on the voltmeter, that you will find this is your problem. About the rocker arms have you even checked the pushrods or anything yet?

jason

I'm going to check the voltage as soon as I get the rockers adjusted and tightened properly. By the time that idea came up I had already had a rocker come loose, so I couldn't check it until I get that fixed. I will be checking my pushrods and such tomorrow. I really hope i Didn't screw anything up, it was stupid to drive it the 2 miles home, but I didn't really have another choice at the time.