some new pictures of the mustang

MustangGlx

Apr 2, 2003
Connecticut
Here it is, its got a 302, with ported and polished hi-po 289 heads, 11:1 compression, comp cams magnum cam, edelbrock performer intake, 1 inch carb spacer, Holley 650cfm double pumper 4bbl, heddman torque step long tube headers, shelby style side exit exhaust, msd 6a ignition with blaster 2 coil and ford duraspark distributer, borg-warner t-10 4 speed, hurst compitition plus shifter, centerforce clutch and pressure plate, lakewood u-joints, traction bars, and 9 inch rear with 3.89 gears and a locker rear end.

My mustang

• Sponsors (?)

MustangGlx said:
Here it is, its got a 302, with ported and polished hi-po 289 heads, 11:1 compression, comp cams magnum cam, edelbrock performer intake, 1 inch carb spacer, Holley 650cfm double pumper 4bbl, heddman torque step long tube headers, shelby style side exit exhaust, msd 6a ignition with blaster 2 coil and ford duraspark distributer, borg-warner t-10 4 speed, hurst compitition plus shifter, centerforce clutch and pressure plate, lakewood u-joints, traction bars, and 9 inch rear with 3.89 gears and a locker rear end.

My mustang

nice, i love those mag 500 looking Enkie's. i was wanted a set of those.

65ShelbyClone said:
I just won an X-Celerator on ebay this morning. $72 and I dont know what shipping will be yet, probably ~$20.

I want to hear your side exhaust.

nice, both xcelerators that i saw on ebay went for in the 120$ range, im a bit on the broke side after this winters project so i gotta stumble into a pretty good deal or wait a little while. I do have an audio clip of the side exhaust, but i dont know where to host it, it sounds pretty good.

MustangGlx said:
nice, both xcelerators that i saw on ebay went for in the 120$ range, im a bit on the broke side after this winters project so i gotta stumble into a pretty good deal or wait a little while.

I can relate to that, being a jobless college student and all. The only reason I could afford it is because I sold off a bunch of latemodel and EFI parts(and I still have a pile of other stuff to ditch). The ebay listing was kind funky and misspelled too, so it wouldnt turn up in a regular search. Theres a real nice one on right now, but I expect it to go up around $110-130.

65ShelbyClone said:
That sounds good! What are the specifics? What pipe size, mufflers, and is there a crossover?

Thanks, it sounds a lot better then i thought it would, it really sounds good at WOT, but i dont have a sound clip of that. Its the Shelby side exhaust kit from mustangs unlimited, www.mustangsunlimited.com , its 2/14 pipe, no crosover and its glasspack style mufflers, if you have long tube headers its the kit is too long, like in my case, you can just not use the intermediate pipe and it comes out the perfect length.

Cool. I want to do something similar, but am going to build it myself using my '89's old Flowtech 2.5" X-pipe and some kind of straight through muffler. I'm trying to avoid using Super Turbos, though. Does the Shelby exhaust have glasspacks?

I'm not usually partial to vinyl roofs or '69 notchbacks, but I think the combination of wheels, shaker scoop, and chin spoiler make yours look good, that and the balance of black and white. :nice:

65ShelbyClone said:
Cool. I want to do something similar, but am going to build it myself using my '89's old Flowtech 2.5" X-pipe and some kind of straight through muffler. I'm trying to avoid using Super Turbos, though. Does the Shelby exhaust have glasspacks?

I'm not usually partial to vinyl roofs or '69 notchbacks, but I think the combination of wheels, shaker scoop, and chin spoiler make yours look good, that and the balance of black and white. :nice:

Yes, the shelby echaust has glasspacks, there pretty big, ild say close to 3 feet long and 3 inches outside diameter on the body of the muffler.

Thanks, i was never really a fan of the vynal tops either, but it was all i could get, so i settled, but the vynal top grew on me, i kinda like it now, a lot because of that same white ad black balance you mentioned. It needs to be repainted, and im thinking about going the same color scheme, but thats down the road a bit.

65ShelbyClone said:
How loud is the exhaust inside the car?

You know whats funny? My '68 came with a black vinyl roof that was really rotten so I ripped it off. Thing is, I left the trim and primered the roof black so it kinda looks like it did :rolleyes:

its pretty loud in the car, at WOT you cant really hear yourself think, normal driving is still pretty loud but you can still talk to someone else in the car, if you have the stock stereo set up, you wont be needing it anymore you wont be able to here it haha.

haha yea theres actually a 70 in my town thats got a painted black roof where the vinyl top was

MustangGlx said:
its pretty loud in the car, at WOT you cant really hear yourself think, normal driving is still pretty loud but you can still talk to someone else in the car, if you have the stock stereo set up, you wont be needing it anymore you wont be able to here it haha.

Thats what I'm kinda worried about. My '68 will have a Toploader with 3.50s, but I do alot of 55mph+ driving. Luckily I have a Kenwood stereo with an Alpine amp, but I guess I'll just use clamps so I can change the exhaust if its too loud (or quiet). The Flowmasters on my '89 give me a headache around 2000rpm and it has tailpipes out the back.

My car, for reference:
View attachment 514123

It wasnt so much how loud they were, it was their signature drone. It is notoriously bad in a Fox3 right in the 2000-2500rpm window. Even Ford new this which is why they used one muffler that was larger than the other so the frequencies/volumes were not equal. I have something planned out involving 30-35" glasspacks, but all clamped together so I can change it later. My '65 notch had turbo mufflers with tailpipes and IMO it was too quiet.

I hope I havent hijacked this thread.....:nono:

65ShelbyClone said:
It wasnt so much how loud they were, it was their signature drone. It is notoriously bad in a Fox3 right in the 2000-2500rpm window. Even Ford new this which is why they used one muffler that was larger than the other so the frequencies/volumes were not equal. I have something planned out involving 30-35" glasspacks, but all clamped together so I can change it later. My '65 notch had turbo mufflers with tailpipes and IMO it was too quiet.

I hope I havent hijacked this thread.....:nono:

In my car im doin abour 3000rpm at 60, and its loud, its really loud, i could definatly see if you were goin at that pace for very long it would get to you, but i only go 60 for about a mile and a half when i do, so its not to bad.

dont worry, any mustang discussion is good mustang discussion, im not worried about you hijacking the thread haha, im happy to offer some exhaust system insight.