Someone Asked A ? About Engine Hose Painting

marvinmycat

Founding Member
Feb 13, 2002
Buffalo, NY
Sorry for starting another thread instaed of searching for this previous post, but it would seem that all of us non-paying members here at Stangnet have been routed through the lousy downgraded server for not paying to become a hoity toity Gold Member.

Anyway, someone asked about coloring their interior hoses and I said I would go look around and try some products out for them, but I didn't have any time lately.

Here's the skinny.

I checked every can of spray paint at Autozone, and looked around for ricer kids as this seems like something they would know about. In short three of the people behind the counter at Autozone said that the tow products I found probably wouldn't do the trick as no one has bought them in years. Hence, all the dust on the cans. I was told to check out Sherman Williams as they carry a ton of specialized paints. I would look there next in your quest for colored or restored looking hoses. Hope this helps.

On a side note, one of my leads to my 99 fogs lights in my 98 rotted out, and I ended up breaking the bulb off the leads as it is -20 degrees out (actually I crushed the buld right in my fingers!). While in the lights section of Autozone, a couple of ricers were checking out turn signal lights for their clear corners. I kept hearing one of them asking if the other guy if he found amber ones. I couldn't resist...

I asked if it was for the front turn signal, and he said it was. I told him you need to get yellow, not amber or red ones for the front as that is what NYS law mandates. I asked if he liked the way the big-ass yellow bulb looked in broad daylight sitting in his clear corners and he said he didn't. I took down an LED light for him and said that this will work and you need to make sure that you have a dual-voltage relay in order to use this unit.

He asked what is that? I told him it was that sound you hear in your dash whenever you put your turn signal on.... You know, the clicking sound? Yon light shines on dim head! He said he didn't know if he had a relay like that.

Full well knowing that every f-ing car in America comes with a dual-voltage relay for the front turns signals, I told him he should check into it so the parking lights come on when they are supposed to, and the turn signal lights up brighter when he turns. :rlaugh:

Anyway, that was too technical for them and they opted for the plain old bulb. I figured I try my hand at asking them if they knew about hose paint as seeing that the technical stuff behind running their car was too far reaching, and he couldn't tell me anything there either. Figures. :nonono:

I love Autozone!!! Does any one have that link to the customer servie hooror stories sight? I read it a few nights ago and there's this big section on Autozone. It was truly priceless and after reading some of that crap, I'd have to start checking the dead battery pile on customers to see if there was any life left in either of them. :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

speaking of autozone stories. I called yesterday to see about getting a hub/bearing assembly for my 2001 chebby s10. he said that vehicle doesn't use one of those......what?? it's in my damned hand.

he started to make up some crap about parts for the '01 pickups hadn't been released by GM (which is contrary to "that car doesn't use one of those"). you could tell in his voice that he was making it up. Why couldn't he simply say, "I'm sorry, but we don't list that part?" or "I'm sorry, but i don't see a listing, could you bring in the old part?" then i found it on there website. they missed out on a $224 sale. i'm sure his boss would love to know that.

Half the time when I'm there at Autozone, if no one is by the computers, I just turn the monitor toward me and start looking up the info I need. Needless to say, the reps get pretty pissed about that!

I love going into Autozone and listening in on all the ricer conversations. Or just the converstations the people working at autozone trying to talk like they know something to a customer. Sometimes it's great going in there to ask them technical question that isn't even complicated and hear them BS the whole answer.