Something is squeaking when I turn my steering wheel.

yellowstang1994

Sep 9, 2004
Well everyday I go through the parking garage I hear this squeak coming from my car. Initially I figured it was the springs on my car but thought it was unlikely because they are only a year old. So today I come in and I hear it again a little worse this time. So when I parked I turned my steering wheel from left to right and everytime I do it has this squeak that when I do it. It's sort of like: say your door hinge is a little rusty and needs some WD40, well it's kind of a sound like that. Is there something I should lube on the rack and pinion? I beleive my powersteering fluid looks alright. What should I check for guys? Please help

• Sponsors (?)

I had a clicking noise once everytime I turned the wheel, ended up being my cig lighter rolling around in the ash tray. When ever I turned it would roll to one side and the metal on metal made a click. It was actually pretty funny when I found out what was causing it. :D

Thanks for the quick advice, i'll try that. I remember on my friend's '92GT his swaybar bushing was completely ripped apart and grinding the metal. Maybee mines getting ready to hit the bucket too and it's time for some new swaybar bushings. Thanks again!

Striped5.0, thats funny I figured out a problem like that before. But not in my mustang, it was my old car and I had this horrible noise coming from it and it turned out to be something rolling around in the door panel ledge, lol. Sometimes it would be the glovebox or the trunk your always wondering whats that sound?

If it sqeaks when you turn the wheel both directions, I am willing to bet it is your tie rods. I had the same problem. You can try to lube them, but from the factory they have no zerk fittings. I opted for the bump steer kit as a replacement, but you should be able to get some part store replacements for about 60 bucks.

Only way I know how to check, is to actually pop them off the spindles, and turn the wheels by hand. You need to get a tie rod puller to do this. You might be able to rent one at a local store. If not, they are about 20 bucks to buy. Good luck..........

yellowstang1994 said:
Thanks for the quick advice, i'll try that. I remember on my friend's '92GT his swaybar bushing was completely ripped apart and grinding the metal. Maybee mines getting ready to hit the bucket too and it's time for some new swaybar bushings. Thanks again!

Striped5.0, thats funny I figured out a problem like that before. But not in my mustang, it was my old car and I had this horrible noise coming from it and it turned out to be something rolling around in the door panel ledge, lol. Sometimes it would be the glovebox or the trunk your always wondering whats that sound?

Yea make sure to keep us updated.. As i have this same problem but only when i turn right :bang: :bang: ... Its really annoying when your pulling up to a parking stall or spot and you have to turn and it makes that horrible noice.. Like the car is falling apart!!!! lol.. someone told me tie rod and others Rack i just never got under it to find out being lazy.. thanks..

The ball joints are notorious for going bad on our cars. That could be it. Actually, it could be pretty much any bushing or moving part in the front suspension, since everything moves up there at least a little when you crank the wheel (even sitting still). But I agree that it's probably the outer tie rod ends.

My tie rod ends were squeeking last summer. I didn't know exactly what is was, just like you. Then when I had it in the brake shop, I told the mechanic about it. He took a stethoscope thingy (like docs have around their necks all the time) with a tube on it. He used that thing to listen to different parts while I moved the steering wheel, and he was pretty certain it was the outer tie rod end on the passenger side.

I never ended up doing anything with it, and it went away after a couple more weeks. Go figure.

same problem on my car, trust me its the tie rod endlinks if thats whats connected to the steering shaft and explains why it happens only when u turn your steering wheel,i also got rid of mine recently and recommended other people do to theirs and it got rid of it . i think i only paid 100 bux so its not to pricey either

But also replacing these could throw your car out of alignment , try to make sure they get replaced exactly how they were on b4...measure if u have to , to be exact as possible