Something may be floating around in my motor!

fasttback

Apr 16, 2005
Northern CA
I just finished installing my new Crane ignition system (billet dist, HI-6 CD, and LX92 coil) and new Victor jr manifold on my 352 (302 stroked). Rough set the timing and fired it up. Rough at first, but a few turns of the dizzy and it's idling on its own. Grabbed the timing light to set to 18 degrees initial and I hear a single "pop" coming from the motor. Right after this pop it sounds like something is loose and starts to rattle inside the motor. The motor showed no signs of distress after the pop and kept idling the same???

In a panic, I turned off the motor immediately. It was getting late, so I decided to tackle this problem tomorrow and ask the experts on forum tonight. Any thoughts? I will pull the valve covers and look for possible valve/spring damage tomorrow.

• Sponsors (?)

Is your engine busto?

Don't say that yet! :nono: I still have hope...I only have about 300 miles on it. Maybe if I turn the radio up it will go away. :rlaugh:

I've decided to put the body back on first (fender, valance, deflector, etc.). This was for some unrelated work. I should get to the noise maker in my motor later this week. I will post an update as soon as I know.

Mystery solved (snap a 7/16" rocker arm stud when idling???). I'm glad I don't have to tear the motor apart, but I will have to replace all rocker arm studs. This is on a Canfield 195 head, but I don't know what rocker arm studs they put on their heads.

rockerstud1.jpg

rockerstud2.jpg

I measured the amount of stud in the polylock and it was about 1/2" in and 7/16" threads engaged (it did break where the threads just started to engage). Too little?

Not sure what you mean by where the threads just started to engage, how much stud is inside the polylock? I can check mine tomorrow and see where mine are at. I can't recall, but I think I bought new studs for mine, I don't think they came with them, bought em second hand (but new in boxes)off ebay.