Somewhat good day in the garage

• Sponsors (?)

Hack said:
For heating bolts I recommend you use a MAPP gas torch. MAPP is available at hardware stores. It looks the same as propane, but it's in a yellow bottle and it heats a LOT hotter. I'll never use propane again.

MAPP gas is actually acetylene like used in the big gas torches. It burns like plastic if just out in the air and leaves little soot floaties drifting around.

Rust and stuck bolts aren't a problem here, but I got into the habit of putting either waterproof grease(Maxima brand for Jet Skis), anti-seize, or bolt-prep on anything that I take apart. I figure if I have it apart once, I'll probably need to do it again sometime and I want it to be easy. I used the grease on big stuff that gets removed a lot like wheel studs; the grease in the anti-seize actually seems to gum up after a while. I've never seen the bolt prep before; it's Fel-Pro brand and came from the PO of the '68. It's more like graphite mixed with oil.

WOOOHOOOO!!!!

All the manifold bolts are now loose. I had to break out the heat wrench for the last one it was really giving me a fit. But after a couple of heat cycles and additional shots of PB blaster it finally worked free. I think I will remove the manifolds tonight and prepare to install the headers tomorrow.
:D

Exhaust manifolds are OFF!!!

No issues with the final removal. I test fit my Dynomax BlackJack headers. THe passenger side is an easy fit, with no issues. The drivers side is a good bit tighter. I had to brakout the BFH to massage the primary from the#8 cylider so it cleared the power steering unit. Tomorrow I am off work, so I am going to try to get the power steering unit replaced along with the rag joint. Then I will be ready to do the final install of the headers.

Today was a good day in that garage.

I was off work and so was the wife so I didn't have to woory as much about the kiddos.
I removed the power steering pump and Box, I have a newer rebuilt one to go in, and I cleaned and painted the pump.
I need to replace the rag joint, hopefully tomorrow at nap time then it is on to reinstalling all the power steering.
Once that is done the headers are next. If I am lucky I will be ready to fire the old girl up by next weekend.

I'm impressed, jes. You get WAY more done than I do during nap time . . . and I only have one 2-year-old. But he loves to 'help' and mimic everything that I do--you gotta love it! Good luck getting it all done by the weekend!

My 13 and 8 year olds help a little bit with watching the kids after they wake up if I am still in the garage.

I did get the power steering box back in on saturday, but didn't get any work done yesterday.

I only have a short period of time to work in the evenings this week between the time I get home and my wife goes to work, but if I approach it all in an organized manner I think I can still get it done by the weekend.