Soundproofing For Roof

Anyone had experience or got any good suggestions for some soundproofing which can be stuck onto the underside of the roof before fitting the headlining ... also the best type of adhesive to use in a hot climate ... I don't want it dropping off onto the headlining :nono: thanks in advance.

• Sponsors (?)

I almost used dynamat but like you I live in a hot climate and painted my car black and worried about it coming unadhered on one of these 100+ days. I just got some 3m foam fast adhesive and the factory style deadening material and glued the snot out of it and stuck it to the roof. Those headliners are too much pain in the butt to put in to worry about something coming loose underneath it. Another idea is that lizard skin...its a spray on deadener. With as much as my vent windows whistle I don't think i would have noticed even if I hadn't done anything!

horse sence,
My worry for Rob would be that he may live in the part of Louisiana that is only one step this side of being a swamp with very high humidity and anything absorbent, like foam rubber carpet pad, might trap enough moisture to rust his roof in short order. On another note, in our HOT climates, I tend to choose "sound deadener" more for its temperature barrier/insulation qualities more than for its sound deadening factor. I've had OK luck with a product from Home Cheapo that is about 1/4" thick, has smooth aluminum foil on one side and sort of a gummy/semi-sticky grey stuff on the other side. I then spray it and the surface I want it to adhere to with a foam/fabric contact cement/glue, let it tack up for a few minutes and install. I'll see if I can get you the brand and product number of the stuff from Home Cheapo.
Just My Thoughts,
Gene

Hey Guys,
I think this is the stuff. It is described as foam, but it is a quite dense, gummy foam and cuts/form fits quite easily:

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1v/R-100028603/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=Frost King&storeId=10051

Go to the store, put your hands on it and see what you think. Pretty cheap also!:cool:
HTH,
Gene
good old home depot,bought two battery packs monday ,got them home only to find
there were no internals just empty shells

X
horse sence,
My worry for Rob would be that he may live in the part of Louisiana that is only one step this side of being a swamp with very high humidity and anything absorbent, like foam rubber carpet pad, might trap enough moisture to rust his roof in short order. On another note, in our HOT climates, I tend to choose "sound deadener" more for its temperature barrier/insulation qualities more than for its sound deadening factor. I've had OK luck with a product from Home Cheapo that is about 1/4" thick, has smooth aluminum foil on one side and sort of a gummy/semi-sticky grey stuff on the other side. I then spray it and the surface I want it to adhere to with a foam/fabric contact cement/glue, let it tack up for a few minutes and install. I'll see if I can get you the brand and product number of the stuff from Home Cheapo.
Just My Thoughts,
Gene

yeah I got Troy Landry on speed dial in case of a Gator attack! The stuff I used was the factory style dense insulation...more of a cloth than foam. It came in two pieces. My issue with the foam rubber stuff is that it deteriorates...glue it all you want but it can rot and fall apart and only the bits that got stuck to the roof will remain. It happened in the cabs of our tractors...and you can grab the foam and it will just turn into dust. Probably won't ever be a problem in our babied classics but knowing what happened to the tractors...that's why I used the OEM stuff.

i applied dynamat extreme (the butyl stuff with foil) and 1/4" dynaliner to the roof while it was upside down on the rotisserie. I believe the original insulation was around 1/2" total but was very soft.
IMG_0598.jpg

i tried to do a non-scientific sound comparison (tapping on the roof) in this video. click on the picture.

View attachment 147663

i applied dynamat extreme (the butyl stuff with foil) and 1/4" dynaliner to the roof while it was upside down on the rotisserie. I believe the original insulation was around 1/2" total but was very soft.

i tried to do a non-scientific sound comparison (tapping on the roof) in this video. click on the picture.

View attachment 147514

Hmmm, link led me to photobucket, but no video. Looks like this should have worked but didn't work for me. Anyone else get this to work?