Spark plug dilemma

I am running Autolite 24's gapped at .040. I have stock heads and know that the 25's are the correct heat range for my app but was told that the 24's were OK. Also, I have the Performance Distributors FirePower Ignition Kit which claims I can gap the plugs to .060 but I have never heard of gapping plugs that wide. Here is my question: Should I gap the 24's to .060 or switch to 25's? What should I gap the 25's at? I am battling a slight pinging problem under WOT and I am 95% that my plugs and/or gapping is to blame. Thanks.

Mike

• Sponsors (?)

If you're battling pinging, raising the heat range on the plugs will only make it worse. I'd verify that your timing is correct (balancer may have spun also, so it may *look* correct but still be off). And I'd gap the plugs as big as you can get away with.

Dave

swingline said:
So you would you stick with the 24's? If so, I'll put them back to .054 and see what they do.
Yep. I ran 24's before my head swap, and after the swap I run 3924's, which are the same thing for the aluminum heads.

Have you tried just pulling a degree or two of timing to see if it helps?

Dave

I have futzed around with my timing and finally set it at 12* since it runs the best there. I could always put it back to 10* I guess. I'll bump the gap too up to .054 and see what happens. I am getting ready to put in a Pro-M meter and I know that solved the missing problem for some people? It really isn't that big of a problem so when I get my gears installed in about a month I'll have the mechanic take a look at it and see what he thinks.