spark plug gap for headswapped cars

mrvax said:
My personal experience is that .035 is NO FREEGIN GOOD for a N/A Stang. When I gapped the plugs to the factory setting, the car ran MUCH better. I'm sticking with .053-.057.
See when I done the swap with the stock gap I didn't feel any difference in power at all, didn't even notice anything. After I tried .40 I was sold and felt the gain.

• Sponsors (?)

At first I had TR-55's in at .054 and I had detonation and missing every once in awhile. I gapped them down to .035 and the car runs a hell of a lot better, no detonation at WOT or missing to be heard of. It does ping going up a hill in OD but thats to be expected. My car runs better with the smaller gap.

CobraM23 said:
At first I had TR-55's in at .054 and I had detonation and missing every once in awhile. I gapped them down to .035 and the car runs a hell of a lot better, no detonation at WOT or missing to be heard of. It does ping going up a hill in OD but thats to be expected. My car runs better with the smaller gap.
What gas?

This whole thing with the smaller gap doesn't make sence to me. You'd think that by having the larger gap, there would be a slightly longer burn time, much like the MSD (multi-spark-discharge) product. A short gap would have a quick burn.

Provided of course that you had enough voltage to carry the spark across the larger gap just seems like it would work better. I know it did in my case but I'm surprised by the people who say they felt .040 was better.

mrvax said:
This whole thing with the smaller gap doesn't make sence to me. You'd think that by having the larger gap, there would be a slightly longer burn time, much like the MSD (multi-spark-discharge) product. A short gap would have a quick burn.

Provided of course that you had enough voltage to carry the spark across the larger gap just seems like it would work better. I know it did in my case but I'm surprised by the people who say they felt .040 was better.
Higher compression runs better with a smaller gap 9.0:1 to 10.3-5:1

Something many do not know, is that with Higher Compression ratios and Superchargers as well as Nitrous, in many cases smaller spark plug gaps must be used as well as the use of a much hotter ignition system (see above). These higher cylinder pressures require more energy to jump the spark plug gap.
http://www.centuryperformance.com/spark.asp

3. Gapping

Since the gap size has a direct affect on the spark plug's tip temperature and on the voltage necessary to ionise (light) the air/fuel mixture, careful attention is required. While it is a popular misconception that plugs are pre-gapped from the factory, the fact remains that the gap must be adjusted for the vehicle that the spark plug is intended for. Those with modified engines must remember that a modified engine with higher compression or forced induction will typically require a smaller gap settings (to ensure ignitability in these denser air/fuel mixtures). As a rule, the more power you are making, the smaller the gap you will need.
http://www.ngkspark.com.au/tech_index.htm?http://www.ngkspark.com.au/pages/tech_content.htm

billyfe390 said:
If you felt a gain by reducing the gap you have weak coils or bad plug wires.
That is also true.