Speed limiter on '04 2v?

40th GT

Apr 7, 2004
Lawrenceville, GA
Just wondering if 99-04 GTs came with a speed limiter? I couldn't make it past 138, and I know some guys on here did 145-150 in theirs. :shrug:

Also, what gear should I be in? My car was screaming at 6k in 4th gear and I was at 133-135, so I had to slide into 5th.

Oh yeah, this test was done on a dead road, where no one else can get hurt besides me.

• Sponsors (?)

40th GT said:
Just wondering if 99-04 GTs came with a speed limiter? I couldn't make it past 138, and I know some guys on here did 145-150 in theirs. :shrug:

Also, what gear should I be in? My car was screaming at 6k in 4th gear and I was at 133-135, so I had to slide into 5th.

Oh yeah, this test was done on a dead road, where no one else can get hurt besides me.

my 02 GT is only good till 138 as well, and i don't have tuner yet..we'll see afetr that

40th GT said:

Have you done a gear swap to the rear by chance? With 3.27's, a '99-'04 Mustang will top out in 4th gear, but not in 5th. But....if you swap out to a set of shorter gears like 3.73 and higher (numerically) you'll run out of gear in 4th, but will still lack the power to pull it in 5th.

My old 5.0L was faster in 4th gear with the stock 2.73's in it than it was with the 3.55's. It would burry 1:1 4th gear ratio pretty easily, but still not make enough power to pull the .68:1 5th gear all the way out to redline.

Gearbanger 101 said:
Have you done a gear swap to the rear by chance? With 3.27's, a '99-'04 Mustang will top out in 4th gear, but not in 5th. But....if you swap out to a set of shorter gears like 3.73 and higher (numerically) you'll run out of gear in 4th, but will still lack the power to pull it in 5th.

My old 5.0L was faster in 4th gear with the stock 2.73's in it than it was with the 3.55's. It would burry 1:1 4th gear ratio pretty easily, but still not make enough power to pull the .68:1 5th gear all the way out to redline.

Um I have 3.73s and when i was making 248RWHP (about 20 more than stock) I had mine all the way to 148MPH in 5th gear (3.73s). If I had the stock size tires it would have read a good 150. Stock woulnt have any problem carrying over 5th with 3.73s for a good ways. When I had an O/R X and E waterpump and stock gears, the car would pull in 5th...but just BARELY.

And to the original poster...YOU CARRIED IT OUT TO 6K! In freggin 4th? Im sure it took forever just setting at 5800-6K for a long time....well I guess you know your engine is sound now lol. But hey, iv been to 6300-6400 in 4th with my gears and cams (127ish)...but it doesnt hang around if you know what I mean. SO im guilty too.

I've done about 150 in 5th gear at about 4250 rpm.. still had some pull to it making it go.. had to let off due to the fact i had to exit the interstate soon :(

I would like to get something that could tell me my exact speed and top it all the way out.. just for ****s and giggles :D

Had mine up to 150 after disconnecting the exhaust from the cat back. Seems these engines like less backpressure. :rolleyes: I reconnected my exhaust with the aftermarket mufflers and I could only run up to about 136... No clue why.

By the way I'm new here so HI everyone!

With ur stock 3.27's my 04 GT bounced off the revlimiter at 140 mph and fell on its face when u shifted to 5th

with my 3.73's i bounce revlimiter in 4th at 120....then when i shift to 5th it falls on face but it still pulls a lil.....i've had my car to 150 then i let off.....i have a predator but i havent adjusted the speed limiter.....if felt smooth to me.....didnt seem i was going that fast

Toms_2003_Stang said:
Whats the point of having the limiter removed?? If we had a autobahn then yeah but I would not want to get stopped by the Po Po for going 100+mph, just my .02.
Yeah, once you get caught for going 100+, you're off to jail.

I think I'll bypass the speed limiter and take her to the salt flats or something. I wanna see what it can do with a stock body/engine.