speedo bouncing

• Sponsors (?)

since you've replaced both, i can't say speedo gear like i planned to when i read the topic subject. other than that it can only be the dash assembly or the gear on the tailshaft of the transmission, although i've never seen one broken.

did you do a gear swap or change from a auto to manual tranny or vise versa. also when installing the new cable did you lube it all the way from one end to the other. alot of times the cable gets in a bind or get old enough that it will actually wear thru the plastic housing causing some friction which in return causes the speedo to jump around a little. not sure if that's what's wrong with yours. as for never seeing the drive gear break. well mine did. lol going from 2.73's to 4.56's without changing the speedo gear must of been to much. lol

fasterthanvinny said:
i have an 87gt i replaced the speedometer cable and gear the speedo still bouncing like crazy until u let off the gas then it reads accurately any help?

Mine did the same thing. Take the speedo out of the instrument cluster. Spin the input on the back of the speedo and listen to it. The disc thingy that spins the needle is probably out of whack. If it is you will hear it rub at a certain point on it's rotation. Carefully bend the disc so that it's running parellel to the speedo needle disc. Spin the input again and make sure the noise is gone before you reinstall the cluster. I know it's not fun taking all this apart but it work for me. My needle is now very steedy and no more clicking noise from the needle.