Spindle Damage

jpolakow

Nov 23, 2006
I bought a pair of drum brake spindles and hubs off ebay so I could do a mustangsteve cobra disc brake conversion. However after cleaning the spindles and hubs I found some damage. It almost looks like the bearing surfaces got hammered or something. I am not sure if these are still usable parts, I was hoping you guys could tell me if I can still use these spindles. The hubs are also equally damaged, or worse.

On a side note I have a question, do they still make hubs for '68s? I looked in my NPD catalog on only saw them list 67 hubs. Are the 67 hubs the same as the 68s?
Thanks!!
000_0016.jpg

000_0015.jpg

000_0012.jpg

000_0010.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Well to the sellers' credit when I bought them the whole drum brake assembly was still together, so you couldn't see the spindle damage. So it is very probable that the seller didnt know they were damaged that bad.

...So it is very probable that the seller didnt know they were damaged that bad.

They very well may have. I realize your parts were probably just take offs, but in general, watch out for ebay vendors offering free assembly of the brake parts, especially with refurbed stuff. They can hide alot inside that rotor or drum!

They very well may have. I realize your parts were probably just take offs, but in general, watch out for ebay vendors offering free assembly of the brake parts, especially with refurbed stuff. They can hide alot inside that rotor or drum!

Yes, if you are going to purchase used parts try to do so at a swap meet so an inspection can be made. I always carry a few basic tools for un-assembly when doing swap meets.

The best approach is wait until funds can be gathered and then purchase from a reliable vendor. Several visit us here at StangNet.

HistoricMustang
www.historicmustang.com