Spintech muffler problems?

Ok, for the past 2 months or so now, the sound of my Spintech Pro Streets have been getting progressively worse. My exhaust system is: equal-length shorty headers, an off-road X pipe, a pair of Spintech Pro Streets, and angled turndowns.

It used to sound muscle-car like..like everyone's sound clips. It sounded great. Lately though, it sounds like....metal. Just metal. Metal vibrating and banging against metal. I've checked for clearance around ALL of the piping and it is making no contact with any part of the car's undercarriage. I also pulled the piping from the X-pipe back off and there are no leaks. Also the car sounded GREAT open-X....no hint of the metallic noises.

The few guys who have Spintechs on the boards...did you have any problems with yours? Do they just "break in" and sound like **** when they do? The only possibility I can conceive is that a weld broke inside one or both of the mufflers somewhere, but the piping to the mufflers, and the turndowns are both welded so it would be almost more trouble than it's worth to try to return them as defective.

Any opinions? Thanks guys. The sound is horrific...I've never heard a car sound so obnoxious. I'm on the verge of tears every time the car passes between 2000 and 3000 rpms. It's HORRIBLE.

• Sponsors (?)

I've got a spintech on mine. There's no packing material to wear/burn out, so that's not an issue (like with Bassani or Magnaflow). The spiral diverters are welded into place internally. I suppose with corrosion those welds could break allowing the spiral bits to break free and make racket. Is the system clamped together - can you take the mufflers off? Simply shaking them around should tell you if anything has broken free. If they've been on the car a short time, I'd think SpinTech's warranty would protect against something like that. Of course, it means taking them off and sending them back to see what they say -- the very thing that makes most muffler company's warranties virtually useless to most of us.

I'd have a hell of a hard time getting a video clip because the sound is most prevalent during the droning part of the rpm range, and it's awful on the interstate. Anything over 2300 or so, all the way up to a hair over 3000 rpms just sounds like tin cans and metal banging together.

The mufflers are...maybe....2 months old. They started doing this after only about 2-3 weeks though. When I took them off, I heard nothing loose at all.

The intermediate pipes between the X and mufflers are welded, as well as the turndowns straight off of the mufflers. All of the welds are good and intact, and like I said before, I felt along all of the piping and NOWHERE is it making contact with the chassis, as I previously thought.

Like I said...I'd send them back, but god...having to ship them ALL the way over there, not to mention having to HACK OFF four welds total? Hardly seems worth the time.