spring isolators

WRXKiller

Jun 19, 2003
i have been hearing a lot about taking out the spring isolators in lowerd cars in order to get another 1/4 inch. What exactly is the purpose of the isolators, and is it safe to take them out....if so, how hard is this to do?

• Sponsors (?)

WRXKiller said:
i have been hearing a lot about taking out the spring isolators in lowerd cars in order to get another 1/4 inch. What exactly is the purpose of the isolators, and is it safe to take them out....if so, how hard is this to do?

They isolate NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) from the car. You could probably take them out and not notice the increseased NVH, though. Yes it's safe to take them out. It's the same difficulty as taking out your lowered springs - which are much easier to install in the car than the stock ones.

Pull the wheel off.
Disconnect the sway bar from the lower control arm.
Remove the strut.
Remove the brake caliper and hang it from somewhere.
Push down on the LCA and remove the spring, then the isolator.

Hopefully I didn't miss anything.

Does anyone have a picture of their car with the springs isolators out? I would prefer to see someone with the H&R SS w/o the spring isolators.

Thanks.

MustangLife said:
Theres a isolator on the top and bottom on each spring right? Do you take both out or just one. I want about 1/2 drop in the rear of my car i have eibach sportlines. So do I take both out and be allright or just one. If just one top or bottom.

Thanks
Josh
Mine is lower than Bowens' car... I have taken a picture but can't put it up. Anyone that I can send it too that can change the size of the file for me and post it?

Mustanglife, in the front, the isolators were wrapped around my springs at the top and has a fat rubber piece at the bottom. I took both of them out. In the back, I only took off the ones at the top and left the ones on the bottom. You really kind of need those. they help guide the springs back into place.

JuicinSmurf said:
Could we have them posted here? Also, what springs are you running?

Pete

I'm running H&R SS. And they will be posted here as soon as ~B7~ can put them up. He has to download them from e-mail and then make themm small enough to post. Thanks ~B7~!

DB96GT said:
They isolate NVH (noise, vibration, harshness) from the car. You could probably take them out and not notice the increseased NVH, though. Yes it's safe to take them out. It's the same difficulty as taking out your lowered springs - which are much easier to install in the car than the stock ones.

Pull the wheel off.
Disconnect the sway bar from the lower control arm.
Remove the strut.
Remove the brake caliper and hang it from somewhere.
Push down on the LCA and remove the spring, then the isolator.

Hopefully I didn't miss anything.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
why on earth would you wanna do all that....just take the sway bar off then take the bolt ataching the control arm to the rear end out and drop it down.....why you would remove the brake caliper or the strut is beyond me

I have the Steeda Sports and I think my baby would look sick if I could drop the front 1/4 or 1/2 an inch. Are there isolaters in the front and would it be a good idea to take them off to try and get what I'm looking for? Any advice would be appreciated! :)

I took mine off the front... They were squeeking so bad with the isolator. Now that they are off, squeek is gone and the ride seems better than with them on. I would say if you drive your car in the rain and snow I would leave them in.