Springs settling - How much? 6cyl coils on a V-8 info

washMO66

Founding Member
Oct 30, 2001
Washington, MO
Just finished my 620lb to 6cyl spring swap to help on the whole weight transfer thing while drag racing. I was just curious about how much coil springs settle as they get broke in.

Here are some pics and info on what I did as it relates to cutting the 6cyl springs and where I am on ride height as of right now.

Here is the before pic - 25 1/2" from the top of the wheel opening to the ground with 620lb coil w/ 1/3 coil cut.

View attachment 403473

Here is the 6cyl spring next to the 620lb coil. The 6 cyl in this picture is uncut and the 620lb has had 1/3 coil removed. I ended up cutting one full coil out of the 6 cyl spring.

View attachment 403475

Here is my disaster of a garage during the thrash.

View attachment 403477

Here is the finished product installed with the new Competition Engineering three way adjustable shock.

View attachment 403479

and last but not least here is the finished product at 25 1/4" from top of wheel opening to the ground.

View attachment 403481

I can already tell the difference looking at the car from the side, it is almost level now (the rear has reverse eye 5 leafs).

Just thought I would share some info to those that are going to a 6 cyl spring on a small block V-8 in a 65-66.

• Sponsors (?)

It will take a month or so for the springs to settle in at their new height.

Hmmmm, cutting the springs will also increase the overall spring rate.

Dennis, So you think I am alright ride height wise? They could come down another half inch and I would still be good.

As far as cutting them your right but they still will never be as stiff as the 620lb that I had on there before.

Dennis, So you think I am alright ride height wise? They could come down another half inch and I would still be good.

As far as cutting them your right but they still will never be as stiff as the 620lb that I had on there before.

Yeah, give it some time and I'll bet they will drop some more. I wouldn't cut anymore off until you have driven it a little--they don't seem to settle just setting around.

Yea not planning on cutting off anymore as I am 100% happy with the height and I wouldn't be too upset if they settled another half inch or so.

Not much driving going on right now around here, I think you got some of our weather if your in PA. I was in Chambersburg week before last, you anywhere close to there?

Several years ago I also did a job at Ft. Indiantown Gap and stayed near Hershy. Scrapple for breakfast everyday.....:D

Those look like stock V-8 springs, maybe for a V-8. Looks exactly like the ones Scott Drake sent us when we asked for 600 drop springs.
FWIW Washmo, I didn't cut anything off of my 6 cyl springs. Maybe the wrong ones ? maybe ?

Yea not planning on cutting off anymore as I am 100% happy with the height and I wouldn't be too upset if they settled another half inch or so.

Not much driving going on right now around here, I think you got some of our weather if your in PA. I was in Chambersburg week before last, you anywhere close to there?

Several years ago I also did a job at Ft. Indiantown Gap and stayed near Hershy. Scrapple for breakfast everyday.....:D

I can't wait to see what you think of the new springs--I just installed mine on Monday. My car is down for a little freshening up, but hope to have it ready for test and tune at the end of March.

Yeah, we got about 8 inches of that wonderful white stuff in the last 24 hours. I can't complain too much as it was the first measureable snow that we had this winter.

I live about 45 minutes due north of Chambersburg (and Ryan's Restaurant:D) and about an hour from the Carlisle fairgrounds. It has been years since I was at Indiantown Gap, but I do get down to Harrisburg a few times a year.

Scrapple=Yuck! Too much of it when I was a kid.:puke: