Stall Converter Brands?

If you look at my sig you can see that I desperatly need an upgraded stall converter. But what RPM and what brand? Money should not be an issue because if you do something as hard to replace as this, you'd better do it right. I am looking for something built strong with a lock for Freeway driving.

Any suggestions? :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

I hear alot of good things about edge converters.About 3 month ago I picked up a Precision Industries 2800 stall.---WWW.converter.com Its a little pricey but well worth it,and it will last a long time.I got a lock up also.If you call them to order one you have to wait 2-3 days before they ship it.Because they custom make each one! You wont believe the performance!

plucka-plucka said:
Thanks for the input! So, 2800-3000 seems to be the going stall. What's the stock stall, I thought it was like 1800 or something. this would not be too steep of an increase?

thanks
2400--2800 is good,no its not to steep actually mine could be a little tighter,so if you plan on keeping the motor stock,I would go around 2400 ,but thats me.

Remember one thing though, if you buy a 2400 rpm stall converter now for you stock motor, then when you build a new motor (heads, intake and cam) your TQ will increase which causes you stall speed to increase.

Example:
Stock Motor - 180HP & 250TQ
Stall RPM - 2400 rpm

Build Motor - 300HP & 325TQ
Stall RPM (Same Converter) - 2800 rpm

So Increase in stall rpm will increase as TQ does.

Just my $0.02

prescision industries has free stall adjustments up to a year or so I beleive.
give them a call and tell them your combo and they will set you up with a matched converter to you combo, you ideally want your peak torque range of your cam to jive with your converter.

Go to Edge Racing's website and get their number. Call and talk to Andre' he's their guru. Tell him about your setup, how you want to use it and he'll recommend the best converter for your setup. After talking to him I bought one of their 9 1/2" converters w/lock up and he recommended a stall between 3500-4000. I choose the stall at 3800 and on the transbrake it stalls exactly at 3800. They will also cut it open and clean and inspect it after a tranny failure for a good price and offer to renew the warranty after the inspection. My other choice would have been P.I. but Edge was more affordable. Mike

To get a converter that is right for you, you really need to call a converter company. You have gotten some good names here. Don't just call one. Call a few of them to get an idea of the one you can feel comfortable with. They can get you the right stall speed for your car.
Don't just buy a converter based on price. In the converter industry, you really do get what you pay for. If they offer you a "cheap" converter that you can't pass up, pass it up. It really does make a difference. Don't ask me how I know. :rolleyes: