Stang gave off 4 codes today, tell me what they mean please?

• Sponsors (?)

staticc said:

pulled codes, changed my oil and fuel filter at my friends. no charge :) i love car guys.

Your codes

First off..your car is an '86 model EEC-IV with 2 digit codes.3 digit codes didn't come into place untill 1992 models and up.The code 185 is a misread.There are 2 seconds between each number and exactly 4 seconds between each code.So if 4 seconds pass then it is either displaying a different code or repeating the codes over again.It looks as if you may've added the 1 from code 91 onto code 85.It's impossible to have a 185 on that year EEC-IV.

The codes are as follows -

Code 67 - Improper signals are being received from either the Neutral Drive Switch (NDS),Neutral Gear Switch (NGS),Neutral Pressure Switch (NPS),Clutch Switch (CS),Manual Lever Position Sensor or Air Conditioner Clutch.

With this one..i'd check the clutch pedal switch under the dash or if you have an Auto Trans,Take the tranny shifter bezel off and check to make sure the switch in there works properly when you put it into park or neutral.I'm not sure about those other switches though.also your A/c Could be on during the Self Test.that will also trigger that code.

Code 85 - Canister Purge Solenoid Circuit Failure.

Sounds logical.The solenoid needs to be replaced.Cheap fix.The Canister is for the Evaporative Emmisions System which regulates fuel vapors in the gas tank and also uses these vapors while the car idles.

Code 91 - Exhaust Gas Oxygen Sensor signal voltage always indicates lean either during Engine Run Self Test ( Rich Air/Fuel condtions ) or during normal engine operating conditions.

One of your O2 sensors most likely took a dump.Either that or one or more of your fuel injectors is sticking open longer than it should putting too much gas into the combustion chambers.

Hope this helps you out

very sorry. im brainless today
forgot to mention.. NEW FOX

1990 mustang LX, v8 5.0. lots of mods.
this wasnt the '86

ALSO!
when he did the running self test. it didnt go....
the scanner said to check the manual on that blah blah.
why wouldnt it do the 60 seconds self test? one of the other codes probably caused it for all i know.

1990,still would have only 2 digit codes.Unless the previous owner swapped the motor and computer for a newer one.Also,you'll need to find out exactly everything,every MOD that was done to the car.The problem with the computer not running the self test could be due to a sensor being unplugged or something wired incorrectly.Also possible that a mod could be causing this.Maybe a swapped MAF and the computer doesn't like the new piece.Unplugged IAC could do this also.

actually. im almost positive i know what the 185 one is. i remember him reading it off..

185 is probably the "check the mass air ground wire" code. because obviously my '86 is speed density, no mass air.. cant throw that code.

thank you for helping.

how can i fix this clutch code?
is it possibly because this car use to be an automatic? im not sure on that.. if it was or not.
or maybe even used a computer from a fox that was an automatic, i dunno.

MustangLX-5.0 said:
1990,still would have only 2 digit codes.Unless the previous owner swapped the motor and computer for a newer one.Also,you'll need to find out exactly everything,every MOD that was done to the car.The problem with the computer not running the self test could be due to a sensor being unplugged or something wired incorrectly.Also possible that a mod could be causing this.Maybe a swapped MAF and the computer doesn't like the new piece.Unplugged IAC could do this also.

yeah my buddy that i went to today told me the pro am mass air that was on there. or whatever it is.... is TOTAL GARBAGE. just junk it. get a cold air kit that goes down into the fender.
he said his other buddy with a fox went to a dyno with it. they told him it was trash. he gained 30~hp with a stock mass air over the one i have.

also. the EGR vacuum was just blocked off at the tree. dont know why it was eliminated but whatever. guess i dont need it

*edit* check the mod list in the sig i just editted a few posts up

About the shifter switch problem.Within the description of the code it mentions all of these switches.Any one of them could be the problem.If you have a 5 spd the Neutral Drive switch,Neutral gear etc wouldn't apply because you have a 5 spd..the code is saying it is one of these switches IF you have an auto because obviously you wouldn't have those particular switches on a 5 spd.Since you have a 5 spd then it could be the clutch switch or the Manual lever position sensor.The manual lever sensor just detects if the shifter is in a gear or sitting in neutral position..It's located inside the gearbox.The clutch switch is located at the very top where the pedal is bolted up under the dash.This switch is primarily your ignition safety switch.That's why you have to press the clutch to start the car.

Q.Try starting your car without pressing the clutch in (Being in neutral of course).Can it be done?

Also.it's possible the previous owner did a Auto to 5 spd swap and didn't wire the switch correctly.Basically,you would take the wires from the neutral safety switch on an Auto trans and connect them to the clutch switch.

Another Q. Does your back up lights turn on when you put it into reverse?

I noticed you have long tube headers.These headers may be causing your O2 rich condition.Since the cats are gone..depending on the location of the O2's on the type of LT's you have..the O2's may not be warming up enough..they may be too far away from the motor.If they are too far away they wont pick up enough gas's from the motor (it needs to be hot) so the sensor would indicate lean and constantly make your car run rich.This would cause the computer to run in a loop status.

I'm not too sure about blocking off the EGR vaccuum line.Maybe the LT's don't have any way of connecting the EGR flow line to them.EXhaust Gas Recirculation is strictly emissions based components.Wont really do anything to performance of motor.

staticc said:
actually. im almost positive i know what the 185 one is. i remember him reading it off..

185 is probably the "check the mass air ground wire" code. because obviously my '86 is speed density, no mass air.. cant throw that code.

thank you for helping.

how can i fix this clutch code?
is it possibly because this car use to be an automatic? im not sure on that.. if it was or not.
or maybe even used a computer from a fox that was an automatic, i dunno.
try pushing the clutch pedal in when running the self test alot of times the computer needs to see cetain things while the self test is occuring or it will spit out a code for it most of the ford computer systens are like this hope that helps the clutch problem

ok im going to go pick up two o2 sensors today (should be done anyways) and cap and rotor. maybe sparkplugs while im at it
and ill try the starting without the clutch today

ill get back to you guys. thanks