Stangnet got me let go from work

bdcardinal

tree hugger
Jun 10, 2003
santa barbara, CA
hey all,

i know ive tried to help people a lot with any emissions related questions. however, higher ups at my work decided that i shouldnt have done this and they let me go from work today. it totally blows too, my job kicked ass, i got to see awesome cars and meet some cool people.

anyway, people were misunderstanding stuff i was saying, i NEVER said i was a referee, people just didnt seem to understand that. im still going for my smog license, and if you have any emissions related questions i will be glad to help out, prefereably through email or IMs.

just to let you know the BAR has been on this page, so it might be a good idea to not list any mods you have done to the car if you live in CA.

let this be a reminder that stangnet is a public forum and people read this forum.

• Sponsors (?)

Sorry to hear that, man - that bites! Had you logged on at work? (I am only logging on when I'm at work, so I'm just curious.) How did they know what posts were yours...and how on earth can they justify firing you for offering your insight? Crappy deal!

Many businesses don't allow employees to surf the web at all unless it's for business purposes only...The place I work is like that too, but they place filters on a lot of sites so employees can only view websites that are work related...I can't believe a warning wasn't involved though...We have a first and final policy with our web usage...get caught a 2nd time and adios...

i talked with a lawyer and he said that i should be able to file an appeal. if the appeal isnt granted, then i could have grounds to sue on 1. wrongful termination, 2. harrassment(the BAR was harsassing me by following my online activity without a warrent), 3. violation of 1st ammendment right to free speach. i dont want to go that far, but this is really annoying, especially since there isnt a confidentiality policy.

my question is how did they know to look here and how did they know it was you? I mean its not like that is your real name is it? or did someone you talked to locally come in and complain or something?

BadMoFo said:
my question is how did they know to look here and how did they know it was you? I mean its not like that is your real name is it? or did someone you talked to locally come in and complain or something?
i have no idea how they found out. someone with no time on their hands having a period because i was helping fellow stang owners out.

true, but at my work, the only rule for the internet is that it has to be automotive related. i didnt use the work computer. my work was located on a community college campus. we rented out a space big enough for our dyno, and desks. as a result of it being a CA campus, we have a lot of WiFi hotspots. i would take my laptop in and get a hit so when we werent doing anything (we are by appointment only and theres not much to do after you have taken all the training tests and are tired of dynoing your car) i would break out my laptop and cruise around.

missouri_guy197 said:
Ahhh, I see now...they fired you for thinking you were giving possibly false information or trying to get around emmissions or whatever...I thought they fired you for plain old surfing the web and not being productive...
no but the thing is, all the info i gave was 100% correct. i told people how to pass smog 100% legally. no BS, just cut and dry, this is legal, that isnt. i was really tired of seeing a lot of bad info given, and then people getting screwed because of it. i worked in a place that gave me access to information, that is publically available, but is hard to find. so i helped people out.

bdcardinal said:
no but the thing is, all the info i gave was 100% correct. i told people how to pass smog 100% legally. no BS, just cut and dry, this is legal, that isnt. i was really tired of seeing a lot of bad info given, and then people getting screwed because of it. i worked in a place that gave me access to information, that is publically available, but is hard to find. so i helped people out.

sorry to hear that. some people are just out to get you. when you get time, can you give me some advice on to high NO. i failed on my 89. email me at [email protected]. thanks

01CobraDude said:
Sorry to hear that, man - that bites! Had you logged on at work? (I am only logging on when I'm at work, so I'm just curious.) How did they know what posts were yours...and how on earth can they justify firing you for offering your insight? Crappy deal!

First off that is so retarded. I don't see on what grounds they can terminate you, unless it's for using company time for browsing the internet.

Tom's_03SVT,

Hey man, I'm in Camarillo also. Is there any good shops in Ventura county that works on our cars? Maybe I'll catch up with ya some time too...or not, you're in an '03. :p

Peace,

Tony

Do you have an employee handbook? As far as I know, it is California Law that all employees must be given a full employee handbook explaining their rights and responsibilities on their employment date. Inside of your handbook should be aa acceptable usage policy stating what is, and what isn't allowed.

If they don't have anything there specifically, or a vague definition of acceptable use, then you've got a good case against them.