Stant or Motor craft thermostat?

What to get

• Stant

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Motorcraft

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You know im leery about the quality of a thermostat if you seen my post yesterday about the motorad/murray fail safe locking closed on me after only 1200 miles of use. So I dont want to live that bs again. I am going tomorrow to get a new one. I know where ford is in this town but not sure where I can get a stant. The stant would be my first choice but what do u guys think? I have no idea if the same people making the motorad junk also make stant or motorcraft?

• Sponsors (?)

Advance auto parts sells stant t-stats.
. No advanced here. Maybe 2 hours away or more. I was happy when I found a Napa but they moved out of town a month later. Put up a brand new one an hour away.

Either one would be better then a Murray. Just be sure to test it in a pot of boiling water before you install it.

Thanks for the reminder. Its too easy to just toss the new part in. I just tested the old fail "unsafe" and at 200 it was locked closed. Its unbelievable but I had to see it with my own eyes. Next time I say its "cheap insurance" I may need to think again. Oh I said it all and even heard this one from other people too. "Sure its more but id rather pay $6 more bucks then buy another motor". Ha ha jokes on me.

Well I went to Ford today. They wanted $19 plus tax without the gasket.Guy was like "and we only have one" I told the guy "well u can keep it". Found a ma and pop parts store and they had a stant. Was $9 after tax with gasket. They are still made in the usa. It tested good in the pan too. U can tell just by the weight that its a much better product. Hard lesson learned. Hope this helps others. I got better product (stant) for less then the fail safe p.o.s. Next I will call the motorad people and see if they will at least give me my money back. Will post results.

Have had many stants. Many of them have failed. Stuck open most of the time. Some went with old cars that I sold. One stuck shut & overheated (2.3 turbo) took out the engine before I caught it. On my '93 LX (2.3L) I bought a Stant. Stuck it in. Worked fine...all is good. Year later I'm watching my fuel mileage drop from mid 30's to mid 20's and at the same time I am seeing the temp gauge stay WAY down there..not much off of 130. Air temp was in the 40's typically at the time. Pulled the stat housing back, thermostat stuck OPEN. Ordered a Robertshaw thermostat from one of the parts stores and stuck that one in. They didn't have any stants or murrays and Ford didn't carry one for a Ranger or Mustang with a 2.3...so I figured why not try a Robertshaw brand. Made in USA completely (stat and package both). Stuck it in, tested after bleeding the cooling system. Temp gauge now runs up about halfway-which is tested on the ECT at 195° engine temp. All is good. Drove back & forth to GF's house a few times and mileage is back up to mid 30's...upper 30's if I drove like an egg was under my right foot (rare..with a 2.3 it's got to be on the floor most of the time). That t-stat has been in the car for about 3 years and about 100,000 miles before the engine got loose (was a used engine to begin with). Matter of fact the stat is still in the engine. Engine is not in a car though.

Same deal on my 5.0. Robertshaw all the way. Never an issue with it. Heats up quickly, keeps heat in it (doesn't fluctuate) and gets good mileage. So far.

Robertshaw. Will never have any other thermostat, ever.

Heres what I Know about that stat.

Robertshaw got out of the automotive thermostat business about ten years ago, and sold it to an internal management group; apparently that group recently moved the manufacturing from Mexico to China. The Mr. Gasket thermostats are re-packaged Robertshaw units. They are junk. Summit sells them for $20. Thanks for the info though.

Heres what I Know about that stat.

Robertshaw got out of the automotive thermostat business about ten years ago, and sold it to an internal management group; apparently that group recently moved the manufacturing from Mexico to China. The Mr. Gasket thermostats are re-packaged Robertshaw units. They are junk. Summit sells them for $20. Thanks for the info though.

Agreed I had a Mr. Gasket thermostat for about 6 months before it stuck shut and I had to change it out. That's when I went with the super stat from Stant its even lifetime warranty at Advance Auto.