Start/idle issues

mac1009

Founding Member
Feb 17, 2001
Atlanta, GA
Well, last week I went to start my car and it turned but never fired. It threw 2 codes: P1090 and P1233

On Saturday, I went to swap the pump, and before I did, tried to start the car. It fired right up and ran perfect. Drove it home(25 miles) and all was well.

An hour later I went to start it, and it was the same thing all over again.
I assumed it was the pump, so I went ahead and swapped it today. I also did the filter while I was right there. Finally, I swapped the fuel rail pressure senson, as I had thrown a code last week and just assumed that it was because I goosed it through a turn and was less than 1/2 a tank.

Well, after the swap, it fired right up, took it for a test drive, everything is great.

Go to start it an hour later, it barely idles and dies. I can hear the pump charge, but it's not as strong as it used to be.

Sorry so long, but I'm out of ideas w/ this and really want to avoid going to the dealer(although it'd probably have been cheaper at this point.)

• Sponsors (?)

How's your battery? So much of the fuel system operation is dependent on the electrical system, that if your battery is low, etc, it can mess up other things.

Battery was fine. You're right about power. I had a wire harness that wasn't plugged in all the way. I have no idea how long it's been like that, but I guess it slid out enough to keep the car from starting. Wow, it cost me $200 to plug in a harness, it is just like I went to ford. ;)

Thanks for the help.

I wish there was. A datalogger would've showed that the fuel pressure was next to nothing. The harness had to have been for the fprm. Now the pump comes on like it has in the past w/ no stalling. Saw 9 lbs of boost w/ no issues as well. I think I'm good to go.