Starter

JD1964

there is enough sticking out to grab on to
15 Year Member
Jun 28, 2013
Maryland
My 92 is getting the rebuilt engine dropped back in soon. 70k on the factory starter. It works fine but should I replace it since it's easy with the headers out? How hard is it to change when all assembled with shorty headers?

If I do get a new starter now, what brand would you recommend?

• Sponsors (?)

Your car should have a mini starter factory, if it works fine keep it. With that said, I was having heat soak issues with my old PA performance starter on my car. I swapped to an MSD starter and its been flawless with the high compression and heat from the longtubes.

DB Electrical... at around $40, it is by far the best starter I have used. Hot, cold or whatever, it turns my 11:1 347 over like the plugs are out.

Wow! $48 and free shipping?! What gives, I am looking at over a $100 at the parts store. How long have you had it?

Joe

Here's the starter from my 92 LX. It appears to be the factory starter. Car has 75k miles on it. The starter works perfect still.

Is this a "mini" starter?

B8EDC83C-1B5A-4D89-9CC3-4118F911573B.jpg

About a year or so. Should be $38 for the one I use. I remember they had the same starter for two different prices. Can't remember what their reason was though. For the money, it is a total badass. LoL

I had priced a rebuild kit for about $35 to my door, and had considered rebuilding mine. But for that money, I'll just buy one of those.

Joe

No oil leaks and no crud. Just some surface rust.
somewhere under all that crud- yes

Well, maybe a little crud. Oxidation from the corroded aluminum transmission separator plate. Tossed it and got a steel one. Here I am scraping the oxidized crud off. It was built up enough that it may have caused mis-alignment on the re-install. All clean and true now.

74508CDC-2F79-47C0-80CC-A952AD707083.jpg