Starting Engine For The First Time

I'm finally going to be getting my engine started here shortly, but I have a few concerns to address first. The engine has been sitting for a few years so I want to make sure I'm taking all the appropriate steps first. What would you all recommend I do? I've spun the distributor periodically to get oil pumping through the motor, but have not cranked the engine at all. Should I squirt some oil in cylinders before doing anything? Any other precautions to take?

I appreciate any help you could provide...thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

My motor build took me a couple years. I assume you used a good assemply lube? Turned the motor by hand using a 1/2 braker bar? Double checked all torque settings? Double checked rocker gaps? Checked all clearences? I assume you have an expert there to go over everything when you start? Just a few thoughts.

My motor build took me a couple years. I assume you used a good assemply lube? Turned the motor by hand using a 1/2 braker bar? Double checked all torque settings? Double checked rocker gaps? Checked all clearences? I assume you have an expert there to go over everything when you start? Just a few thoughts.

dunno about him or where you are from but finding assembly lube here is a very hard thing to do autozone says they don't carry it anymore so does advanced and carquest :shrug:

I bought my car, drove it for a year, and then took it off the road. knowing that it could be years before I drove it again I took steps to protect my fresh short block. I used a large heavy duty plastic bag with a tie, coated it with penetrating oil. Also like clock-work I remove the bag and turn the engine over a few times once a week. Of course mine is on a stand. This doesn't help you a lot though since you are to the point of getting ready to start the engine not store it. I would spray some oil in the cylinders, turn it over by hand and use a drill to spin the oil pump. I suggest welding an old socket to a rod or some all thread to keep from losing the socket in the engine. You could also use an old distributor with the cam gear removed.

I've primed the oil pump and sprayed some oil into the cylinders. After letting it sit for a couple of hours, I cranked it over by hand and everything seemed to turn rather smoothly. I'm hoping that I can get this thing fired up soon and start enjoying my stang again.