Starting issue on a 93 GT

xtreme02stang

Jun 25, 2007
Orlando
HELP ME PLEASE! Starting issue on a 93 GT

I picked up a very clean 93 GT the other day. Has a couple issues with it. One of them I've never heard of before and for me to say that is weird because Ive been around foxbodies for 13 years. When you turn the key to the start position it just keeps turning over and wont start, but as soon as you let go of the key(like when you do when it usually starts) it starts up, haha. Don't ask my why cause I have no clue. Have you ever heard of an issue like that? One of the first things that came to mind was the recall on the ignition switch. Do you think the switch would cause this? The car does have an aftermarket alarm installed which im sure splices into the starting wires somewhere on the column. I havent even started looking at it yet. Have any ideas?:shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Well I tore out the aftermarket alarm and replaced the ignition switch and plug because it had gotten hot and still having the same issue. If I put the key in the run position and jump the starter solenoid on the fender the car will start right up like its supposed to. When trying to start the car normally it will be very hesitant to start after about 5 sec of cranking but starts sometimes, but will always start if i let go of the key. HELP!

Well I tore out the aftermarket alarm and replaced the ignition switch and plug because it had gotten hot and still having the same issue. If I put the key in the run position and jump the starter solenoid on the fender the car will start right up like its supposed to. When trying to start the car normally it will be very hesitant to start after about 5 sec of cranking but starts sometimes, but will always start if i let go of the key. HELP!

You initially said it turned-over fine but would not catch. Is this still the case, or is it having issue with cranking also?

How are you jumping the solenoid? If you have slow cranking except when bridging the big lugs, the solenoid could be the issue.

You could try jumping it (be sure the emergency brake is on and the car is in neutral) with a jumper wire from the little slide-on solenoid-terminal to the battery-lug of the soleoid.
This test will use the solenoid to crank the car over (not bypass it).

Good luck.

Yes, at first I initially said It wouldnt catch but decided to let it go a little longer. I've only had the car a week. It started to catch and finaly caught. When I jumped the solenoid I bridged the 2 big lugs and it started just fine. It started like it should, it wasnt slow. When I use the key it starts weird, either crank and let the key go and it starts or keep cranking and see if it will finally catch, but when I jump the solenoid it starts fine......hmmmmmmmm